Formula for average acceleration

In summary, the jet plane's acceleration, assuming it to be constant, is 8.75 m/s^2. This was calculated using the distance traveled, initial and final velocities, and the formulas for constant acceleration.
mugzieee
A jet plane is cruising at 300 m/s when suddenly the pilot turns the engines up to full throttle. After traveling 4.0 km, the jet is moving with a speed of 400 m/s.What is the jet's acceleration, assuming it to be a constant acceleration?

first i converted 4km to m. then i said that since at first he was traveling 300m/s, it must of taken him about 13.33 seconds to reach 400m/s. then i followed the formula for average acceleration, which is vf-vi/tf-ti, and i get a wrong answer. what am i doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
HINT:Use Galieo Galilei's formula
[tex]v^{2}_{fin}=v^{2}_{init}+2ad [/tex]

Daniel.

mugzieee said:
A jet plane is cruising at 300 m/s when suddenly the pilot turns the engines up to full throttle. After traveling 4.0 km, the jet is moving with a speed of 400 m/s.What is the jet's acceleration, assuming it to be a constant acceleration?

first i converted 4km to m. then i said that since at first he was traveling 300m/s, it must of taken him about 13.33 seconds to reach 400m/s. then i followed the formula for average acceleration, which is vf-vi/tf-ti, and i get a wrong answer. what am i doing wrong?

You didn't properly account for acceleration and computed the elapsed time incorrectly. You can use the Galieo formula indicated in the previous msg, but you may not remember that formula on a test. Sometimes it's best to concentrate on a few "basic" formulas which are fairly inuitive and easy to remember. Thus the following solution, although longer, may also have a place in your suite of mathemagical tools. We start with the following basic formulas valid for constant acceleration A:

[tex] V_f = V_i + A*t [/tex]
[tex] D = V_i*t + (1/2)*A*t^2 [/tex]

where "D" is distance, "Vi" is INITIAL velocity, "Vf" is FINAL velocity, and "t" is Elapsed Time. For your problem:
D = (4 km) = (4000 m)
Vi = (300 m/s)
Vf = (400 m/s)

Thus, we can substitute values and set up a system of 2 equations in 2 unknowns ("A" and "t"):
(400) = (300) + A*t ::: Eq #1
(4000) = (300)*(t) + (1/2)*A*(t^2) ::: Eq #2

Solving for "t" in Eq #1 and placing the resulting expression in Eq #2:
t = 100/A
(4000) = (300)*(100/A) + (1/2)*A*((100/A)^2)
40 = 300/A + (1/2)*A*(100/A)*(1/A)
40 = 300/A + 50/A

A = (8.75 m/sec^2)

thank you very much for the replies guys, it was a lot of help.

Related to Formula for average acceleration

What is the formula for average acceleration?

The formula for average acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is the average acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

How is "average acceleration" defined?

Average acceleration is defined as the rate of change of velocity over a certain time interval. It measures how much an object's velocity changes in a given amount of time.

What is the unit of measurement for average acceleration?

The unit of measurement for average acceleration is meters per second squared (m/s2). This can also be written as m/s/s.

How is the formula for average acceleration derived?

The formula for average acceleration is derived from the basic equation for acceleration, a = (vf - vi) / t, by dividing both sides by the change in time. This results in the average acceleration over a specific time interval.

What are some real-life examples of average acceleration?

Some examples of average acceleration in real-life include a car accelerating from 0 to 60 mph in a certain amount of time, a person riding a roller coaster and experiencing changes in velocity, and a rocket launching into space with increasing acceleration.