Formula to calculate psi required to deliver gpm through nozzel

In summary: The required PSI to deliver the needed volume of water can be calculated using the orifice flow equation: P1-P2 = (GPM * 29.9 * (D/64)^2) / (C * A^2), where P1 is the supply pressure, P2 is atmospheric pressure, GPM is the desired flow rate, D is the diameter of the nozzle in 64ths of an inch, C is a coefficient based on the type of fluid, and A is the area of the nozzle in square inches. In summary, to determine the required PSI, you will need to know the supply pressure, desired flow rate, and the size and type of nozzle being used. It may also be helpful to consult online
SALTYFRIES
I need to build a device to test the water resistance of a piece of restaurant equipment. The device must deliver 2.5 GPM of water through a nozzel with an opening of 2mm. Can someone please give me a formula to calculate the required PSI to deliver the needed volume of water?

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The answer to that question largely depends on the configuration of your set up. How much experience do you have with fluid mechanics? For starters, the mass flow (your GPS) is equal to the velocity of the fluid times the cross sectional area of the pipe times the fluid density.

I am mostly mechanical and have almost no experience with fluid mechanics. I experimented with 3/4 diameter garden hose, connected to the city water supply, on the end of which was a cap with a drilled 2mm hole. I currently have no practical method to check the pressure of the supply but it delivered 91oz of water per minute, much less than the 320 required. I then had the idea to fill a pressure tank with water and connect compressed air to the tank to increase the pressure, but I do not know how to calculate how many psi would be required and so can't determine if that might be a feasible solution.

Related to Formula to calculate psi required to deliver gpm through nozzel

1. What is the formula for calculating the psi required to deliver a certain gpm through a nozzle?

The formula for calculating the psi required to deliver a certain gpm through a nozzle is: psi = (gpm x 1714) / nozzle diameter^2.

2. What does the "psi" stand for in this formula?

The "psi" stands for pounds per square inch, which is the unit of measurement for pressure.

3. How do I determine the gpm and nozzle diameter to use in the formula?

The gpm and nozzle diameter can be determined by the requirements of your specific application or system. You may need to refer to equipment manuals or consult with experts in the field to determine these values.

4. Is this formula applicable to all types of nozzles?

Yes, this formula can be used for all types of nozzles as long as the units are consistent (i.e. both measurements are in gpm or both are in gph).

5. Are there any factors that could affect the accuracy of this formula?

Yes, there are several factors that could affect the accuracy of this formula, such as changes in temperature, viscosity of the fluid, and friction losses in the system. It is important to regularly monitor and adjust the psi and gpm as needed to ensure optimal performance.