Formulating a Mixed Integer Programming Problem

In summary, to correctly formulate this MIP problem, you need to define your objective, identify relevant variables, define their relationships, formulate an objective function and constraints, and test your model.
I Like Pi

Homework Statement

Not sure if this type of math goes in this section, but I have a quick question regarding a MIP problem. It's simple to grasp, but I'm not sure whether or not I am formulating this problem correctly.

A city needs to hire workers to clean the snow. The city is divided into j areas, which require a certain number of trucks, nj, within area j. The workers are required to place a tender at the beginning of the ear, which includes the price per truck and the number of trucks they can supply. We must formulate a model where i workers are tendered, ti is the trucks available from worker i, cij is the price per truck per area j, and mj is the minimum number of workers for area j. And the workers can't supply more trucks than are necessary for their areas

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let xij = number of trucks supplied by contractor i to area j
Let yij = 1 if worker i supplies in trucks in area j, 0 if worker i does not supply trucks in area j

I want to minimize Z = [itex]\sum[/itex]cijxij

My constraints are:

[itex]\sum[/itex]xijtiyi (i'm not sure about the yi part)

[itex]\sum[/itex]xij = nj

[itex]\sum[/itex]yijmj

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would suggest the following approach to help you formulate your problem correctly:

1. Clearly define your objective: In this case, it seems like your objective is to minimize the cost of hiring workers to clean the snow.

2. Identify all relevant variables: From the problem statement, it seems like the variables you will need are the number of workers, the number of trucks supplied by each worker, the price per truck, and the minimum number of workers required for each area.

3. Define the relationships between the variables: Based on the problem statement, it seems like the number of workers and the number of trucks supplied by each worker are directly related. The price per truck may also be a factor in determining the number of workers to hire. Additionally, there is a minimum number of workers required for each area.

4. Formulate the objective function: Based on your objective of minimizing cost, your objective function could be something like Z = \sumcijxij, where cij is the price per truck in area j supplied by contractor i.

5. Formulate the constraints: Your constraints should reflect the relationships between the variables you identified in step 2. For example, you could have a constraint that limits the total number of trucks supplied by all workers to be less than or equal to the total number of trucks needed in each area. You could also have a constraint that ensures each area has at least the minimum number of workers required.

6. Test your model: Once you have formulated your model, it is important to test it with different scenarios to ensure it is working as intended.

Overall, it seems like you are on the right track with your formulation. However, I would suggest including the price per truck in your constraints to ensure that the total cost is minimized. Additionally, you may want to consider adding a constraint that ensures each worker can only supply trucks to areas they are assigned to.

Related to Formulating a Mixed Integer Programming Problem

What is Mixed Integer Programming (MIP)?

Mixed Integer Programming is a mathematical optimization technique used to solve problems that involve a combination of both discrete and continuous variables. It is often used to find the best solution to a problem that has multiple constraints and objectives.

How do I formulate a MIP problem?

Formulating a MIP problem involves identifying the decision variables, defining the objective function, and specifying the constraints. The decision variables are the unknowns that need to be optimized, while the objective function represents the goal to be achieved. The constraints are the conditions that must be satisfied in order to find an optimal solution.

What are the types of variables used in MIP?

There are two types of variables used in MIP: integer and continuous variables. Integer variables can only take on whole number values, while continuous variables can take on any real value. In a MIP problem, both types of variables can be present, and the goal is to find the optimal combination of values for all variables.

What are the applications of MIP?

MIP has a wide range of applications in various fields such as logistics, finance, manufacturing, and telecommunications. It can be used to optimize resource allocation, production planning, scheduling, and supply chain management. MIP is also commonly used in decision-making processes, such as portfolio optimization and risk management.

What are some techniques used to solve MIP problems?

There are several techniques used to solve MIP problems, including branch and bound, cutting plane algorithms, and heuristics. These techniques use a combination of mathematical and computational methods to find the best solution to a MIP problem. Solving MIP problems also often involves using specialized software and algorithms.