Fortran: inner loop dependence on outer loop

In summary, the user Swati is asking how to write an inner loop that takes values based on the variable values of an outer loop. They specify that for the outer loop, the variable m should range from 1 to Nmax, and for the inner loop, the variable n should range from 1 to Nmax-m. They also mention wanting to use the value of Nmax-m in one of the calculations within the loop. They confirm that Fortran can handle this structure.
svartak
Hello,

I want to write an inner loop which takes values based on the variable values of the outer loop. For outer loop, m=1, Nmax and for inner loop, I want n to take values from 1 to Nmax-m. But I am not sure if I can directly specify n = 1, Nmax-m. Also I want to use Nmax-m value for one of the calculation inside the loop, how should I specify that?

Thanks a lot for your help,
Swati

Technology news on Phys.org
You mean
Code:
do m = 1, nmax
* calculate something
   do n = 1, nmax-m
*    calculate something else
   enddo 
enddo

Fortran won't have any problem with that (unless your compiler only understands Fortran 66, which is unlikely!)

FAQ: Fortran: inner loop dependence on outer loop

1. What is "Fortran: inner loop dependence on outer loop"?

"Fortran: inner loop dependence on outer loop" refers to a programming concept in the Fortran language where the inner loop of a program is dependent on the outer loop. This means that the execution of the inner loop is determined by the values of the outer loop, and any changes to the outer loop will affect the inner loop.

2. Why is it important to understand inner loop dependence on outer loop in Fortran?

Understanding inner loop dependence on outer loop is important because it can affect the efficiency and correctness of a program. If not properly managed, it can lead to errors and inefficiencies in the code. By understanding this concept, programmers can optimize their code and improve its performance.

3. How can inner loop dependence on outer loop be avoided in Fortran?

To avoid inner loop dependence on outer loop in Fortran, programmers can use techniques such as loop unrolling, loop fusion, and loop interchange. These techniques can help break the dependency between the inner and outer loop, allowing for better performance and flexibility in the code.

4. What are the benefits of using inner loop dependence on outer loop in Fortran?

While it is important to understand and manage inner loop dependence on outer loop, there are also benefits to using it in Fortran. This concept can help simplify and streamline code, making it easier to read and maintain. It can also improve the efficiency of certain algorithms and reduce the overall complexity of the program.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using inner loop dependence on outer loop in Fortran?

Yes, there can be potential drawbacks to using inner loop dependence on outer loop in Fortran. If not properly managed, it can lead to errors and inefficiencies in the code. Additionally, it may limit the parallelization of the program, which can hinder its performance on modern computing systems.