Forum Guidelines: Rules and Expectations for Scientific Discussions

physicsgirly
How did you find PF?
Hello! My name is Eleonora but you can call me Leo. I'm a girl. I love mathematics and physics and I aspire to become a theoretical physicist one day (or maybe this will change someday, but for now it's my biggest life goal). I still go to school. I want to self-study physics and find fellow people who love discussing all things science. If you can speak german, talk to me in german, because I live in there and I can speak it fluently. But I don't have a problem communicating in english. I would love to find some new friends and we could support eachother on this long learning path.
Love y'all!

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forum.

Just FYI, we don't do posts on this forum in any language other than English.

Likes physicsgirly
phinds said:
Welcome to the forum.

Just FYI, we don't do posts on this forum in any language other than English.
Got it.

physicsgirly said:
I also have a question: is there a guideline for this forum because I didn't find one yet?
It is not very complicated. The main rules are:
  • if it looks like homework, then we treat it as homework
  • if it is homework, we require some effort from your side because we want to teach, not solve homework problems; and it helps us to figure out where the difficulties are
  • no politics, no religion, no philosophy, no speculations
The speculation part is a bit tricky. We require some effort from our members, e.g. Google or Wikipedia searches for questions about facts. Users sometimes display their own (usually wrong) theory of a certain subject as a statement, which would be speculation and thus not allowed.

"Do black holes rotate?" is allowed, "Black holes do not rotate." is forbidden. However, I think it is more a male thing that they phrase their "questions" as "statements" in expectation of an argument instead of admitting to being clueless.

Likes berkeman