Found a mistake in REU personal statement

In summary, the conversation discusses a mistake the speaker made on their REU applications in referring to the hydrogen atom as the hydrogen molecule. They realize their error and contemplate whether or not to send an email to correct it. The other person reassures them that it is a common mistake and shouldn't be a major issue.
Bishop556
Hello,

On all my REU applications besides two or three, I was asked to describe my previous research. I did so, but I realized I referred to the hydrogen atom as the hydrogen molecule. I showed in the case of H2+ that we develop the standard potential energy curve for the hydrogen atom. I accidentally wrote "hydrogen molecule" instead of "hydrogen atom". I assume that most people would not catch this mistake, but I am worried none the less. Is this typo worthy of an email to correct this error?

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Found a mistake in REU personal statement

1. What should I do if I find a mistake in my REU personal statement?

If you find a mistake in your REU personal statement, the first thing you should do is take a deep breath and try not to panic. Mistakes happen, and they can be fixed. The best course of action is to carefully review your statement and identify the mistake. Then, make the necessary corrections and proofread your statement again before submitting it.

2. Will finding a mistake in my REU personal statement affect my chances of being accepted?

It is natural to worry that a mistake in your personal statement might hurt your chances of being accepted into an REU program. However, it is unlikely that one mistake will significantly impact your application. As long as you address and correct the mistake promptly, it should not have a negative effect on your application.

3. Should I mention the mistake in my personal statement or to the program coordinators?

If you find a mistake in your personal statement, you may be wondering if you should mention it in your statement or inform the program coordinators. It is generally not necessary to mention the mistake in your statement, as long as you have corrected it. However, if the mistake is significant or may affect your application, it is best to inform the program coordinators to avoid any confusion.

4. How can I prevent mistakes in my REU personal statement?

The best way to prevent mistakes in your REU personal statement is to carefully proofread and edit your statement before submitting it. You can also ask a friend, family member, or mentor to review your statement for any errors. It is also helpful to give yourself enough time to work on your statement, rather than rushing to submit it at the last minute.

5. Is it possible to make changes to my personal statement after submitting it?

In most cases, it is not possible to make changes to your personal statement after submitting it. However, if you notice a mistake or want to add additional information, you can contact the program coordinators and ask if they can make an exception and allow you to make changes. It is important to note that this is not always possible, so it is best to thoroughly review your statement before submitting it.