Found an interesting book on Quantum Mechanics

In summary, von Dommelen writes a very good book on quantum mechanics that is free (legal) and easy to follow. He starts with a review of what students learned in undergraduate quantum mechanics and then moves on to more advanced topics. He has a good sense of humor and includes examples from his lectures to make the material more understandable.
smodak
Likes vanhees71, Demystifier and jasonRF
Physics news on Phys.org
Very nice, thanks! I like the title :smile:

I've bookmarked it and will go through it more soon. I like how it starts with a review of what I learned in undergrad and moves on to subjects I've read about on the PF and beyond. Thanks @smodak :smile:

Likes smodak
berkeman said:
Very nice, thanks! I like the title :smile:

I've bookmarked it and will go through it more soon. I like how it starts with a review of what I learned in undergrad and moves on to subjects I've read about on the PF and beyond. Thanks @smodak :smile:

Thank you. I downloaded the pdf to read, however, i actually find the HTML version easier to follow (the HTML version is also hot linked to solutions etc.). I was just watching this lecture by prof. Balakrishnan and then I read the corresponding section on the book, and I must say it was a pretty good experience. Now I know this material a bit, so, it will be great if someone who does not can comment on the quality. So far, in my experience, I think the book is very well written.

smodak said:
I am very interested to follow Balakrishnan's lectures. Just tell one thing: for starting quantum, do you need to go through the whole classical course? I have an idea of Hamiltonian and Lagrangian and also how to draw phase trajectories and understand autonomous systems. Is that enough?

By the way, thanks for the book :smile:

Wrichik Basu said:
I am very interested to follow Balakrishnan's lectures. Just tell one thing: for starting quantum, do you need to go through the whole classical course? I have an idea of Hamiltonian and Lagrangian and also how to draw phase trajectories and understand autonomous systems. Is that enough?

By the way, thanks for the book :smile:

In my opinion, you should be able to follow to some extent if you know the idea of Lagrangian and Hamiltonian. However, he uses classical mechanics (and electromagnetism) a lot (for analogies etc.), so to really understand and appreciate, you will need to really understand classical mechanics well. He also goes on some tangents about l2 spaces and complex analysis so your math (complex analysis, linear algebra, differential equations) should be strong. My recommendation will be not to skip classical mechanics or any math prerequisites. It is a slower process but a more rewarding one. Unfortunately there is no shortcut to learning physics. Great lectures by the way.

Likes Wrichik Basu
von Dommelen, the author of the book, also has a good sense of humor. For instance, in Copyright and Disclaimer he says:
"However, in this web book, I do try to correct “inaccuracies,” OK, blunders, pretty quickly if pointed out to me by helpful readers, or if I happen to think twice."
Or at page 280:
"Normal people would therefore indicate it as O or 0. However, physicists are not normal people. They indicate the origin by Γ because the shape of this Greek letter reminds them of a gallows. Physicists just love gallows humor."

Likes Wrichik Basu, vanhees71, smodak and 1 other person

Related to Found an interesting book on Quantum Mechanics

1. What is Quantum Mechanics?

Quantum Mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a subatomic level. It explains the behavior of particles such as atoms and subatomic particles, and how they interact with each other and with energy.

2. Why is Quantum Mechanics important?

Quantum Mechanics is important because it helps us understand the fundamental laws that govern the behavior of matter and energy at a microscopic level. It has also led to the development of many technologies, such as transistors, lasers, and computer memory, that have greatly impacted our daily lives.

3. How does Quantum Mechanics differ from classical mechanics?

Unlike classical mechanics, which explains the behavior of macroscopic objects, Quantum Mechanics deals with the behavior of particles at a subatomic level. It also introduces concepts such as wave-particle duality and uncertainty, which are not present in classical mechanics.

4. Can Quantum Mechanics be understood by non-scientists?

While the concepts of Quantum Mechanics can be complex, there are various resources available that aim to explain it in simpler terms. However, a deep understanding of the subject requires a strong background in mathematics and physics.

5. What are some practical applications of Quantum Mechanics?

Quantum Mechanics has led to the development of many technologies, such as transistors, lasers, and computer memory, that have greatly impacted our daily lives. It is also being used in fields such as cryptography, quantum computing, and quantum teleportation.