Four proof that exercises about taylor polynomials

In summary, the conversation discusses four exercises related to Taylor polynomials. The first exercise involves proving that the limit of (f(x) - P(x))/(x-a)^n, where P is a polynomial of degree n and P^(k)(a) = f^(k)(a) for all k = 0, 1, ..., n, is equal to 0 by applying L'Hopital's rule n times and using continuity. The second exercise is a modification of the first, but with an extra condition on the polynomial P. The third exercise involves proving that the limit of R(x)/(x-a) is equal to 0, where R is the difference between two polynomials of degree n and R(x)/(x-a
colt
Four "proof that" exercises about taylor polynomials

Homework Statement
Definition: A function f is called C^n if f n times derivable and if the n-time derivable f^(n) is continuos. If is from class C^n then its called f ε C^n

Exercise 1) Be f ε C^n in the interval [a,x]. Be P a polynomial of degree n such that P^(k) (a) = f^(k) (a), for all k = 0,1,2..n. Proof that lim (x->a) [f(x) - P(x)] / (x-a)^n = 0.

Suggestion: apply L'Hopital rule n times then uses the continuity

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, deriving n times using L'Hopital I come with: lim (x->a) [f´(n) (x) - P´(n) (x)] / n*(n-1)*(n-2)*... (2)*(1)*(x-a)^(n-n) = 0

-> lim(x->a) [f´(n) (x) - P´(n) (x)] / n! = 0
Then I don't know how to proceed

Homework Statement
2)The following exercise is a modification from the first that doesn't demand the continuity of f'(n), but limits the choice of the P polynomial. Be a ε R e be f a function such that f'(a),...f'(n) (a) all exist. Be P a polynomial of degree n such that P^(k) (a) = f^(k) (a), for all k = 0,1,2..n., like before, but now under an extra condition:
P(x) = [f'(n) (a) * (x-a)^n] / n! + [f'(n-1) (a)*(x-a)^(n-1)] / (n-1)! +... (inferior order terms)

So: lim (x->a) [f(x) - P (x)] / (x-a)^n = 0
Sugestion applys the L'Hopital rule n-1 times and then use the properties of P

P(x) has too many terms, so I can't imagine what it will look alike after I derivate each one N-1 times. Plus in the first
one I was thinking in derive n times not n-1

Homework Statement
3)a)Be P and Q two polynomials em (x-a) of degree <=n. Suppose that P and Q are equals until order n in a.
Be R:=P-Q. Proof that lim (x->a) R(x)/(x-a) = 0 for all k=0,1,2... Note that R(x)/(x-a)^k = R(x)*(x-a)^(n-k)/(x-a)^n

No clue about how to do it or the tip. And := means approximately?

Homework Statement
3)b)Realize that P=Q
Suggestion: All is necessary is to prove that R=0. To do so, if R(x) = b0 + b1*(x-a)+...+bn*(x-a)^n use the previous item to prove that b0 = 0. So should be R(x) = b1 (x-a) + ...+bn*(x-a)^n and the previous can be used once more to demonstrate now that b1=0 and keeping so until bn.

Depends on the previous item

Physics news on Phys.org
, but I think that by proving that R=0, then each coefficient of the polynomial must be 0. And to do so, I have to prove that R(x)/(x-a)^k = 0?

Related to Four proof that exercises about taylor polynomials

1. What are Taylor polynomials?

Taylor polynomials are mathematical expressions that approximate a function at a specific point by using a finite number of its derivatives. They are named after the mathematician Brook Taylor and are commonly used in calculus and other areas of mathematics.

2. Why are Taylor polynomials important?

Taylor polynomials are important because they allow us to approximate complicated functions with simpler polynomials. This makes it easier to analyze and understand the behavior of these functions. They also have practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

3. What is the process for finding Taylor polynomials?

The process for finding Taylor polynomials involves calculating the derivatives of a function at a specific point and using these values to construct a polynomial expression. The more derivatives used, the more accurate the approximation will be.

4. How do you use Taylor polynomials to find the value of a function?

To find the value of a function using Taylor polynomials, you first determine the degree of the polynomial needed for the desired level of accuracy. Then, you plug in the x-value of interest into the polynomial expression and solve for the resulting value. This value will be an approximation of the actual value of the function at that point.

5. Can Taylor polynomials be used for any type of function?

Yes, Taylor polynomials can be used for any type of function as long as the function is differentiable at the point of interest. However, the accuracy of the approximation may vary depending on the complexity of the function and the number of derivatives used in the polynomial.