Four Tensor Derivatives -- EM Field Lagrangian Density

F^{lm} = \frac{4 \pi}{c}j^m . In summary, using the given Lagrangian density and Euler-Lagrange equation, the inhomogeneous, manifestly covariant, field equations can be derived by applying the product rule and using the expressions for the field tensors in terms of the vector potential. The resulting equations of motion are \partial_kF^{kl} = -\frac{4 \pi}{c}j^l and \partial_lF^{lm} = \frac{4 \pi}{c}j^m.
teroenza

Homework Statement

Given the Lagrangian density

[tex] \Lambda = -\frac{1}{c}j^lA_l - \frac{1}{16 \pi} F^{lm}F_{lm} [/tex]

and the Euler-Lagrange equation for it

[tex] \frac{\partial }{\partial x^k}\left ( \frac{\partial \Lambda}{\partial A_{i,k}} \right )- \frac{\partial \Lambda}{\partial A_{i}} =0 [/tex]

derive the inhomogeneous, manifestly covariant, field equations.

Homework Equations

In class we were told

[tex] \frac{\partial \Lambda}{\partial A_{i,k}} = -\frac{1}{4 \pi} F^{kl} [/tex]

as a starting point, and I am trying to show this.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have that

[tex] F_{lm}=\frac{\partial A_m}{\partial x^l}-\frac{\partial A_l}{\partial x^m} [/tex]

and

[tex] F^{lm}=\frac{\partial A^m}{\partial x_l}-\frac{\partial A^l}{\partial x_m} [/tex]

I think I can see how inseting these into the above, possibly taking one of the field tensors to be constant, and taking derivatives (I think the first term does not depend on [itex] A_{i,k} [/itex]) leads to the correct form or we were shown in class. I'm not great at four-tensor manipulation or keeping my indices straight, however.

I am trying to understand how to correctly take these derivatives.

[tex] \frac{\partial }{\partial A_{i,k}} \left ( F^{lm}F_{lm} \right )=0 [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, to start your equation does not make sense, you need to have the same indices on both sides of the equation.

Did you try simply applying the product rule?

I copied the equation incorrectly, it should be:
[tex]
\frac{\partial \Lambda}{\partial A_{l,m}} = -\frac{1}{4 \pi} F^{ml}
[/tex]

Using the product rule, I get:
[tex] \left (\frac{\partial A^m}{\partial x_l}-\frac{\partial A^l}{\partial x_m}\right ) +
\left( \frac{\partial A_m}{\partial x^l}-\frac{\partial A_l}{\partial x^m} \right)\frac{\partial }{\partial A_{m,l}}
\left(\frac{\partial A^m}{\partial x_l}-\frac{\partial A^l}{\partial x_m} \right )
[/tex]

But am not sure what to do with the derivatives in the second term.

teroenza said:
I copied the equation incorrectly, it should be:
[tex]
\frac{\partial \Lambda}{\partial A_{l,m}} = -\frac{1}{4 \pi} F^{ml}
[/tex]

Using the product rule, I get:
[tex] \left (\frac{\partial A^m}{\partial x_l}-\frac{\partial A^l}{\partial x_m}\right ) +
\left( \frac{\partial A_m}{\partial x^l}-\frac{\partial A_l}{\partial x^m} \right)\frac{\partial }{\partial A_{m,l}}
\left(\frac{\partial A^m}{\partial x_l}-\frac{\partial A^l}{\partial x_m} \right )
[/tex]

But am not sure what to do with the derivatives in the second term.

I suggest taking this one step at a time. Without rewriting F in terms of A, what does the product rule give you? (Note that your expression contains too many m and l to make sense. Each should appear twice or not at all in your result. Your free indices are i and k.)

So the first step is:
[tex] F^{lm} \frac{\partial F_{lm}}{\partial A_{i,k}} + F_{lm}\frac{\partial F^{lm}}{\partial A_{i,k}} [/tex]

Correct. Now, both terms are equal, so that gives a factor of two (just raise/lower the indices using the metric). This leaves you with the task of computing ##\partial F_{lm}/\partial A_{i,k}##. How do you express ##F_{lm}## in terms of ##A##? (Note that ##A_{i,k} \equiv \partial_k A_i##)

Like this:

[tex] F_{lm}=\frac{\partial A_m}{\partial x^l}-\frac{\partial A_l}{\partial x^m}=A_{m,l}-A_{l,m} [/tex]

Yes, so what is the derivative of this with respect to ##A_{i,k}##?

Is [itex] A_{l,m} [/itex] antisymmetric? Then I could switch the indices on the second term, add them for the extra factor of 2, and use

[tex] \frac{\partial A_{m,l}}{\partial A_{i,k}}=\delta^{i}_{m}\delta^{l}_{k}=1 [/tex]

No, it is not antisymmetric, but what makes you think you cannot use this relation separately on each term?

I can use it on each term. I can only see that leaving me with zero instead of adding for the necessary factor of two.

How would it leave you with zero? The terms are also not equal. What do you get if you do the computation?

It must be simple, but I'm not making the connection. I think the derivative reduces to:

[tex]
\delta^{i}_{m}\delta^{l}_{k}-\delta^{m}_{l}\delta^{i}_{k} [/tex]

Which can only be 0 or 1.

The second term is incorrect, check the indices. The same indices must be up/down in both terms!

What happens when you contract this expression with the F that was outside?

I see. The resulting difference ends up as [itex] -4F^{ik} [/itex] after swapping the indices on the (antisym.) field tensor.

Yes, this is correct. So what are the resulting equations of motion?

They would then be [tex]\partial_kF^{kl} = -\frac{4 \pi}{c}j^l[/tex]

Related to Four Tensor Derivatives -- EM Field Lagrangian Density

What are four tensor derivatives?

Four tensor derivatives refer to the four types of derivatives that can be taken on a tensor, which is a mathematical object used to represent physical quantities that have both magnitude and direction. These derivatives include the covariant derivative, the contravariant derivative, the mixed derivative, and the partial derivative.

What is the EM field Lagrangian density?

The EM field Lagrangian density is a mathematical expression used in the study of electromagnetism. It describes the energy of the electromagnetic field in a given region of space, taking into account both the electric and magnetic fields present.

How are tensor derivatives used in the study of EM field Lagrangian density?

Tensor derivatives are used to calculate the rate of change of the EM field Lagrangian density with respect to different variables, such as the electric and magnetic fields. This allows scientists to understand how the energy of the electromagnetic field changes over time and how it is affected by different physical factors.

What are some real-world applications of the EM field Lagrangian density?

The EM field Lagrangian density is used in a variety of real-world applications, including the study of electromagnetic waves and the behavior of charged particles in electric and magnetic fields. It is also used in the development of technologies such as antennas, MRI machines, and particle accelerators.

Are there any limitations to using four tensor derivatives in the study of EM field Lagrangian density?

While four tensor derivatives are a useful tool in understanding the behavior of the electromagnetic field, they do have some limitations. For example, they may not accurately capture the behavior of complex systems or phenomena. Additionally, the calculations involved in using four tensor derivatives can be quite complex and require advanced mathematical techniques.