Four very long, current carrying wires in the same plane

In summary: As a matter of fact, I still consider him to be a great helper, even though he has not been active for a few years. His answers were always excellent and his patience was never ending. He was a true gem in the world of online homework help.In summary, the conversation is about finding the magnitude of the current that will make the magnetic field at the center of a square, formed by four long, current-carrying wires, equal to zero. The steps and solution are provided, but there is confusion about using the right hand rule to determine the direction of the magnetic field. The right hand rule involves pointing your thumb along the current and curling your fingers in the direction of the circular magnetic field lines.
penguinnnnnx5

Homework Statement

Four very long, current-carrying wires in the same plane intersect to form a square with side lengths of 31.0 cm, as shown in the figure (Figure 1) . The currents running through the wires are 8.0 A, 20.0 A, 10.0 A, and I.

Find the magnitude of the current that will make the magnetic field at the center of the square equal to zero.

Picture here:
http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1003626/14/yf_Figure_28_35.jpg

Homework Equations

B = μ0I/2πr

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the steps and solution, but what I'm not clear about is how the right hand rule is used to determine the direction of the magnetic field.

Where exactly do you position your hand? On top of the wire? To the left of it? To the right of it? How much do you curl? All the way around?

Here is the solution:

μ0I/2πr where r = distance of B from the wire.

r = .5 ( 31cm) = .155m
μ0=4π*10^-7

ƩB = 0 = μ0/2πr * (I - 10 - 8 + 20)
0 = I - 10 - 8 + 20 = I + 2
I = -2A

Magnitude of I = abs(I) = 2A

So using the right hand rule, why is 20 positive whereas 10 and 8 are negative? Assuming that into the page/monitor is negative, shouldn't the B on the 20A also go into the page/monitor via RHR?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi penguinnnnnx5! :smile:
penguinnnnnx5 said:
… what I'm not clear about is how the right hand rule is used to determine the direction of the magnetic field.

your thumb points along the current

your fingers curl round the wire in the same direction that the circular magnetic field lines curl round the wire :wink:
So using the right hand rule, why is 20 positive whereas 10 and 8 are negative?

the point is to the left of the 20 but to the right of the 10 and 8

so your fingers are coming out of the page through that point for the 20, but going into the page for the 10 and 8 :smile:

tiny-tim said:
hi penguinnnnnx5! :smile:your thumb points along the current

your fingers curl round the wire in the same direction that the circular magnetic field lines curl round the wire :wink:the point is to the left of the 20 but to the right of the 10 and 8

so your fingers are coming out of the page through that point for the 20, but going into the page for the 10 and 8 :smile:

buddy u didnt answer dang

freeform2745 said:
buddy u didnt answer dang

This thread is almost 10 years old.

It was the responsibility of the original poster to ask further questions if tiny-tim's answer was not sufficiently clear to the poster. I can assure you that tiny-tim would have artfully guided the poster to a complete understanding of the solution. tiny-tim was one of the best homework helpers that Physics Forums has ever had.

Likes kuruman

FAQ: Four very long, current carrying wires in the same plane

1. How do you calculate the magnetic field produced by four long, current carrying wires in the same plane?

The magnetic field produced by four long, current-carrying wires in the same plane can be calculated using the Biot-Savart law, which states that the magnetic field at a point is directly proportional to the current in the wire, the length of the wire, and inversely proportional to the distance from the wire.

2. What is the direction of the magnetic field produced by these four wires?

The direction of the magnetic field produced by these four wires depends on the direction of the current in each wire. If all four wires have the same direction of current, the magnetic field will be in the same direction, but if the currents are in opposite directions, the magnetic field will be in the opposite direction.

3. How does the distance between the wires affect the strength of the magnetic field?

The strength of the magnetic field produced by these four wires decreases as the distance from the wires increases. This is because the Biot-Savart law states that the magnetic field is inversely proportional to the distance from the wire.

4. Can these four wires create a magnetic field that cancels out?

Yes, it is possible for these four wires to create a magnetic field that cancels out if the currents in each wire are equal and opposite. This is known as a null field, and it occurs when the magnetic fields produced by each wire cancel each other out.

5. Are there any practical applications for four current carrying wires in the same plane?

Yes, there are several practical applications for four current carrying wires in the same plane. These include creating a uniform magnetic field for experiments, producing a null field for magnetic shielding, and creating a magnetic levitation system by controlling the currents in each wire.

Back