Four Wires and y component of magnetic field at center

In summary, the question asks for the y component of the magnetic field at the center of a square with side a=5.10cm, where four wires carrying equal currents i=2.40Amps are located. Using the formula B field = u0 I / (2 pi r), the attempt at a solution calculates the total y component to be 4 * sin45 * u0 I / (2 pi r). However, the value of r used is incorrect, resulting in the wrong answer. After correcting the mistake, the correct answer can be found.
skibum143

Homework Statement

The four wires that lie at the corners of a square of side a=5.10cm are carrying equal currents i=2.40Amps into (+) or out of (-) the page, as shown in the picture.

Calculate the y component of the magnetic field at the center of the square.

Homework Equations

B field = u0 I / (2 pi r)
a^2 + b^2 = c^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Since at the origin there are two fields pointing up and to the right at 45 degrees, and two fields pointing up and to the left at 45 degrees, the total y component is 4 * sin45 * u0 I / (2 pi r).

r = sqrt [ (a/2)^2 + (a/2)^2 ] or 1.697

u0 = 4pi*10^-7

Using these numbers I got 8*10^-7 T but this is wrong. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

THanks!
Diagram is attached.

Attachments

• four wires.gif
    four wires.gif
    1.3 KB · Views: 783
Physics news on Phys.org
skibum143 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Since at the origin there are two fields pointing up and to the right at 45 degrees, and two fields pointing up and to the left at 45 degrees, the total y component is 4 * sin45 * u0 I / (2 pi r).

So far, so good.

r = sqrt [ (a/2)^2 + (a/2)^2 ] or 1.697

Try plugging in the numbers again. The equation seems right, but not so much the 1.697 part.

ah, stupid mistake. thanks for your help!

Related to Four Wires and y component of magnetic field at center

1. What is the concept of "Four Wires and y component of magnetic field at center"?

"Four Wires and y component of magnetic field at center" refers to a specific experiment or scenario in which four wires are arranged in a specific configuration and the magnetic field at the center of this configuration is measured in the y-direction.

2. What is the purpose of conducting an experiment on "Four Wires and y component of magnetic field at center"?

The purpose of this experiment is to understand the relationship between the arrangement of four wires and the resulting magnetic field at the center. This can help us better understand the principles of electromagnetism and how to manipulate magnetic fields.

3. How do the four wires affect the y component of the magnetic field at center?

The four wires are arranged in a specific way to create a magnetic field at the center. The direction and strength of the magnetic field depend on the current flowing through each wire and the distance between the wires. The y component of the magnetic field is affected by the positioning and current in the wires.

4. What are some factors that can affect the accuracy of the results in "Four Wires and y component of magnetic field at center" experiment?

The accuracy of the results can be affected by several factors such as the precision of the equipment used, the stability of the power source, and potential interference from external magnetic fields. The positioning and distance between the wires must also be carefully controlled to ensure accurate results.

5. How can the results of the "Four Wires and y component of magnetic field at center" experiment be applied in real-life scenarios?

The principles learned from this experiment can be applied in various real-life scenarios such as designing and optimizing electromagnetic devices, understanding the behavior of magnetic fields in different configurations, and developing new technologies that rely on magnetic fields.

Back