Fourier Analysis's relation to diffraction

In summary, the Fourier transform allows us to calculate the weighted values of a function at different frequencies. This is the same thing as taking a 2-dimensional Fourier transform.
know
My advisor recently asked me a series of questions that made me realize I don't fully understand how the Fourier transform of, let's say series of vertical lines, produces a diffraction pattern like those seen in a TEM. To get a better understanding I re-read Hecht's short little chapter on Fourier series, integrals, and their corresponding graphs in k-space. I understand that Fourier series allow us to write any equation in terms of a series of sines and cosines, and that calculating the related coefficients tells us how each frequency of each of the sines and cosines is weighted into the representation of the equation. I'm not, however, seeing how taking the Fourier series, Fourier transform, or diffraction patterns are related. Could anyone help with the missing link?

Science news on Phys.org
It only works in the far-field approximation. Represent the incoming wave as

[tex]E_0 e^{i\vec k \cdot \vec x}[/tex]

To find the total amplitude at a screen a large distance away, what do you have to do? You have to integrate the above thing over the shape of your aperture.

Which, if you notice, is the same thing as taking a 2-dimensional Fourier transform.

A Fourier transform of a particular function is the procedure that produces a weighted set of values taken out of the Fourier Series that is equivalent to the function when summed. The Fourier Series is the "basis" for the representation of the function.

It's very useful to break a function or wave into separate frequency components because any dispersive function will have a different time skew for each frequency.

Just to add to what Ben Niehoff has already written, the connection simply comes from the fact that the integrals/sums have you to calculate when working with diffraction just happens to be identical to the integrals/sums you do in Fourier analysis.
Of course one could argue that there is a deeper connection but from a practical point of view you might as well just see it as a lucky "coincidence".

This type of of integral is quite common in physics, a few years ago I "accidentally" derived the same relation when working on something completely different (no connection to light).
Fortunately I realized what is was and it saved me a lot of time since it meant I could use an FFT in my numerical simulations.

Related to Fourier Analysis's relation to diffraction

1. What is Fourier analysis and how is it related to diffraction?

Fourier analysis is a mathematical technique used to break down a complex signal into simpler components. It is related to diffraction because diffraction patterns can be analyzed using Fourier analysis to determine the structure of the diffracting object.

2. How does Fourier analysis help in understanding diffraction patterns?

Fourier analysis is used to transform a diffraction pattern into a frequency domain representation, which allows for easier interpretation and identification of the underlying structure causing the diffraction pattern.

3. Can Fourier analysis be used to predict diffraction patterns?

Yes, Fourier analysis can be used to predict diffraction patterns by analyzing the spatial frequencies present in the diffracting object and how they will interact with the incident light.

4. What are some limitations of using Fourier analysis for diffraction analysis?

One limitation is that Fourier analysis assumes that the diffracting object is composed of a finite number of discrete components. In reality, objects may have continuous or varying properties, making the analysis more complex.

Another limitation is that Fourier analysis does not take into account the effects of imperfections or errors in the diffraction pattern, which can affect the accuracy of the results.

5. Are there any real-world applications of Fourier analysis in diffraction studies?

Yes, Fourier analysis is widely used in the field of crystallography to determine the atomic structure of crystals using X-ray diffraction patterns. It is also used in other diffraction-based techniques such as electron diffraction and neutron diffraction to analyze the structures of various materials.