Fourier series complex numbers

In summary, the equation 2pi, 4pi, 6pi only = 0 when there is a sine function before it, but none of the numbers 2\pi, 4\pi, 6\pi, etc. is equal to zero. It's true that sin(2\pi) = 0, but the argument is not equal to zero. Euler's formula gives an alternate expression for e^{i\theta} which is 1 for any even integer n. This is because of theevens = 0. i * 2^i does not get rid of the i in my book. really lost here.
robertjford80

Homework Statement

Screenshot2012-06-17at22522AM.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand this equation. 2pi, 4pi, 6pi only = 0 when there is a sine function before it, so I don't see how the evens = 0. I don't see why the e vanishes. I also can't get the i's to vanish since one of them is in exponential form and the other is not. i * 2^i does not get rid of the i in my book. really lost here.

Physics news on Phys.org
robertjford80 said:

Homework Statement

Screenshot2012-06-17at22522AM.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand this equation. 2pi, 4pi, 6pi only = 0 when there is a sine function before it,
No. None of the numbers 2[itex]\pi[/itex], 4[itex]\pi[/itex], 6[itex]\pi[/itex], etc. is equal to zero. It's true that sin([itex]2\pi[/itex]) = 0, but the argument is not equal to zero.

##e^{-i\pi n}## happens to be equal to 1 for any even integer n. This is because of Euler's formula, eix = cos(x) + isin(x). Replace x by any even multiple of ##\pi## to see this.
robertjford80 said:
so I don't see how the evens = 0. I don't see why the e vanishes. I also can't get the i's to vanish since one of them is in exponential form and the other is not. i * 2^i does not get rid of the i in my book. really lost here.

I'm watching this lecture,

so if I still don't understand after watching it, I'll get back to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark44 said:
##e^{-i\pi n}## happens to be equal to 1 for any even integer n. This is because of Euler's formula, eix = cos(x) + isin(x). Replace x by any even multiple of ##\pi## to see this.

I can't figure out how to combine cos(x) + isin(x) to get a real number. For instance 2 + i is still imaginary.

robertjford80 said:
I can't figure out how to combine cos(x) + isin(x) to get a real number. For instance 2 + i is still imaginary.

Think what happens when sin(x) is zero...(equivalent to x=n∏)

In simpler terms, what happens to (a+ib) if b is zero :wink:

if b is 0 in a + ib then we just get a line along the x axis, y = 0. I don't see that helps me with my problem.

robertjford80 said:
if b is 0 in a + ib then we just get a line along the x axis, y = 0.

No, you don't. You get 'a', a real number, which is constant. Not a line.

I don't see that helps me with my problem.
I can't figure out how to combine cos(x) + isin(x) to get a real number. For instance 2 + i is still imaginary

By Euler's formula, [itex]e^{i\theta} = cos\theta + i\cdot sin\theta[/itex] which is the same as [itex]z = a+ib[/itex]

See now?

I don't see how euler's formula gets the equation I listed in the OP

robertjford80 said:
I don't see how euler's formula gets the equation I listed in the OP

Well...the equation you have listed in the OP contains [tex]e^{-in\pi}[/tex] and Euler's formula gives an alternate expression for [tex]e^{i\theta}[/tex] Is there any resemblance? :smile:

no resemblance. even if there was it wouldn't tell me why 1/πin, n odd, nor would it tell me why (e^-inπ -1)/-2πin results in 1/πin, n odd or 0 if n is even

robertjford80 said:
no resemblance

:eek:

But but...its all laid out to resemble :wink:

Another hint : put θ = -n∏, in Euler's equation...

Also, try to forget about the (1/-2∏in) term for the time being.

never mind, I'm tired of your hints. i give up.

robertjford80 said:
never mind, I'm tired of your hints. i give up.

Good idea. You should take a break and try again when you are fresh, sometime. :-p

Its very, very simple :smile:

robertjford80 said:
No, 2 + i is complex, which means it has a real part (2) and an imaginary part (1, the coefficient of i). 2 + 0i is purely real. 2i = 0 + 2i is purely imaginary, and its imaginary part is 2.

Related to Fourier series complex numbers

What is a Fourier series complex number?

A Fourier series complex number is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of complex exponential functions. It is used to analyze and study the behavior of periodic signals in various fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics.

How is a Fourier series complex number calculated?

A Fourier series complex number is calculated by finding the coefficients of the complex exponential functions that make up the series. These coefficients can be calculated by using complex integration techniques or by using the Fourier transform.

What is the significance of complex numbers in a Fourier series?

In a Fourier series, complex numbers are used to represent the amplitudes and phases of the individual complex exponential functions. This allows for a more concise and elegant representation of a periodic function compared to using only real numbers.

What are some applications of Fourier series complex numbers?

Fourier series complex numbers have numerous applications in various fields such as signal processing, image and sound compression, and solving differential equations. They are also used in the analysis and synthesis of periodic signals in electronics and communications.

Are there any limitations of using Fourier series complex numbers?

One limitation of using Fourier series complex numbers is that they can only be applied to functions that are periodic. Additionally, the convergence of a Fourier series may be limited for certain types of functions, making it difficult to accurately represent them using this method.