Fourier Series for f(x) = sin(3x/2) and Evaluating Series for (1/(4n^2-9))^2

In summary, the problem involves evaluating the series \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{(4n^2-9)^2} by finding the Fourier series for the 2\pi-periodic function f(x). Using the equations a_n and b_n, the Fourier series is found to be \frac{1}{2}\frac{2}{3\pi} + \frac{1}{\pi}\sum_{n=1}^\infty \left( \frac{4ncos(\pi n)sin(nx)-6cos(nx)}{4n^2-9}\right). The Parseval's formula is also used to evaluate the series, but the b_n term needs
theorem

Homework Statement

Evaluate following series:
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{(4n^2-9)^2} [/tex]
by finding the Fourier series for the [itex]2\pi[/itex]-periodic function
[tex]f(x) =
\begin{cases}
sin(3x/2) & 0<x<\pi \\
0 & otherwise
\end{cases}
[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]a_n = \frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} f(x)cos(nx)dx = -\frac{6}{\pi(4n^2-9)} [/tex]
[tex]b_n = \frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} f(x)sin(nx)dx = \frac{4ncos(\pi n)}{\pi(4n^2-9)} [/tex]
[tex]f(x) = \frac{1}{2}a_0 + \sum_{n=1}^\infty \left(a_ncos(nx)+b_nsin(nx)\right) \\ = \frac{1}{2}\frac{2}{3\pi} + \frac{1}{\pi}\sum_{n=1}^\infty \left( \frac{4ncos(\pi n)sin(nx)-6cos(nx)}{4n^2-9}\right)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found the Fourier series and evaluated 1/(4n^2-9) as it was the first part of this exercise. However, I am not sure how to evaluate it for the square. I figured I just needed to square the answer but it turns out it's that simple .

I found Parseval's formula in my book
[tex] \frac{1}{\pi}\int_T |f(x)|^2dx = \frac{1}{2}|a_0|^2 + \sum_{n=1}^\infty (|a_n|^2+|b_n|^2) [/tex].
which I tried using, but the [itex]b_n[/itex] term gives me an ugly expression in the numerator.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]b_n[/itex] should not be a function of [itex]x[/itex]. Take another look at it, and remember that [itex]\cos(\pm n\pi) = (-1)^n[/itex].

Oh yes, my mistake. I meant cos(pi n) not cos(xn).

Related to Fourier Series for f(x) = sin(3x/2) and Evaluating Series for (1/(4n^2-9))^2

What is the Square of Fourier Series?

The Square of Fourier Series refers to the mathematical process of decomposing a periodic function into a combination of sine and cosine waves. It is used to analyze and understand complex periodic phenomena in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

What is the formula for calculating the Square of Fourier Series?

The formula for calculating the Square of Fourier Series is given by:
f(x) = a0/2 + Σ(an*cos(nx) + bn*sin(nx)),
where a0, an, and bn represent the coefficients of the sine and cosine waves.

What is the significance of the Square of Fourier Series?

The Square of Fourier Series has various applications in different fields, such as signal processing, image analysis, and data compression. It allows for the representation of complex functions in terms of simpler components, making it easier to analyze and understand them.

What are the limitations of the Square of Fourier Series?

One of the main limitations of the Square of Fourier Series is that it can only be applied to periodic functions. It also assumes that the function being analyzed is continuous, which may not always be the case. Additionally, the convergence of the series may be slow for some functions.

How is the Square of Fourier Series used in real-world applications?

The Square of Fourier Series has numerous real-world applications, such as in audio and image processing, telecommunications, and control systems. It is also used in physics to analyze the behavior of waves and in mathematics to solve differential equations.