Fourier Series Help: Piecewise Smooth | x=-1 to 1

In summary, Homework Statement states that homework is to see if a function is piecewise smooth. f is piecewise smooth on the given interval, and has a finite number of discontinuities.
Sheridans

Homework Statement

Hello,
Check each function to see whether it is piecewise smooth. If it is, state the value to which its Fourier series converges at each point x in the given interval and the end points

(a.) f(x)=|x|+x, -1<x<1
(it would be very helpful to see if i did this right, as the professor I have does not do examples and that is how I learn how to approach and solve problems)

Homework Equations

If f is piecewise smooth and is periodic with a period of 2a, then at each point x in the corresponding Fourier series to f converges and its sum is:

Fourier series= 0.5(f(x+)+f(x-)), where f(x+) is the limit from the right, and f(x-) is the limit from the left.

Criterion for piecewise smooth on interval a<x<b:
1) f is piecewise continuous (it is bounded and is continuous, except possibly for a finite number of jumps and removable discontinuities)
2)f'(x) exists except possibly at a finite number of points
3) f'(x) is piecewise continuous

The Attempt at a Solution

After sketching the function, it is continuous on the interval, f'(x) exists and it has a finite number of discontinuities (so it is piecewise continuous) Therefore, f(x) is piecewise smooth

f(x)= 2x, 0<x<1
0, -1<x<0 (spilt it up)

f(x)=.5(f(x+)+f(x-))=2x/2=x

endpoints: at x=-1 .5(f(-1+)+f(-1-))=-2/2=-1

at x=1, .5(f(1+)+f(1-))=2/2=1

Is this right? I think i went wrong somewhere. And do i have to actually find the Fourier series (which I know how to do, just thought it was not needed/was not even specified)?

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your work looks correct, and no need to determine the Fourier series.

ehild

Thank you. I do have other problems but I am going to start fiending in the math learning center for this class. Professor expects us to do problems while showing no examples, and I am not the only one who has this problem in the class.

Once again thank you :smile: !

Show your other problems!

ehild

Related to Fourier Series Help: Piecewise Smooth | x=-1 to 1

1. What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of sine and cosine functions. It is a way to decompose a complex function into simpler components.

2. What does "piecewise smooth" mean in the context of Fourier series help?

"Piecewise smooth" refers to a function that is smooth (i.e. continuous and differentiable) except for a finite number of points where it may have discontinuities or corners.

3. What is the range of values for x in the Fourier series problem x=-1 to 1?

The range of values for x in this problem is from -1 to 1, meaning that the function is being evaluated only within this interval.

4. How do I know if a function is piecewise smooth?

A function is considered piecewise smooth if it has a finite number of points where it may have discontinuities or corners. Graphically, this would appear as a function with a smooth curve except for a few sharp corners or breaks.

5. What are the main steps for solving a Fourier series problem with a piecewise smooth function?

The main steps for solving a Fourier series problem with a piecewise smooth function are: 1) determining the interval of the function, 2) finding the period of the function, 3) writing the Fourier series using the appropriate formula, 4) determining the coefficients of the series, and 5) evaluating the series for the given interval.