Fourier Series. Writing a partial sum as an integral.

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the given function f(x) = |sin(x)| can be rewritten as f(x) = \frac{1}{2\pi}Ʃ\frac{sin(x)}{1} + \frac{1}{2\pi}Ʃ\frac{sin(-3x)}{-3} by using the hint provided, which is the Dirichlet kernel, and the formula for the Fourier series of the Dirichlet kernel.
Popinfresh

Homework Statement

Given: https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/56653, show that this can be written as: https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/56651.

Homework Equations

Hint: https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/56652

The Attempt at a Solution

Quite confused by this question. For f'N I have:

[itex]\frac{4}{∏}[/itex]Ʃ[itex]\frac{cos((2n -1)x)}{(2n - 1)^{2}}[/itex] but I'm not sure where to go from here.

I have read about the Dirichlet kernel, which is what I think I require, but I am rather lost.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers.

Attachments

• hint.png
    hint.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 444
  • integral.png
    integral.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 396
  • partial sum.png
    partial sum.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 393
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your post. Let's break down the problem step by step.

First, we are given the function f(x) = |sin(x)|. This can be rewritten as f(x) = 1/2(sin(x) + sin(-x)).

Next, we have to use the hint provided, which is the Dirichlet kernel. The Dirichlet kernel is defined as Dn(x) = 1/2 + cos(nx).

Using this, we can rewrite f(x) as f(x) = 1/2(D1(x) + D-1(x)).

Now, we can use the formula for the Fourier series of the Dirichlet kernel, which is given by:

Dn(x) = \frac{1}{\pi}Ʃ\frac{sin((2n - 1)x)}{(2n - 1)}.

Substituting this into our equation for f(x), we get:

f(x) = 1/2(\frac{1}{\pi}Ʃ\frac{sin((2 - 1)x)}{(2 - 1)} + \frac{1}{\pi}Ʃ\frac{sin((-2 - 1)x)}{(-2 - 1)}).

Simplifying this, we get f(x) = 1/2(\frac{1}{\pi}Ʃ\frac{sin(x)}{1} + \frac{1}{\pi}Ʃ\frac{sin(-3x)}{-3}).

Finally, we can rewrite this as f(x) = \frac{1}{2\pi}Ʃ\frac{sin(x)}{1} + \frac{1}{2\pi}Ʃ\frac{sin(-3x)}{-3}.

This is the desired result, which matches the given equation. I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

FAQ: Fourier Series. Writing a partial sum as an integral.

1. What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of sine and cosine functions. It allows us to break down a complex function into simpler components, making it easier to analyze and understand.

2. How do you write a partial sum as an integral in a Fourier series?

In order to write a partial sum as an integral, we use the integral form of the Fourier series, which is given by: S_n(x) = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \int_{-\pi}^{\pi} f(t) \frac{\sin[(n+\frac{1}{2})(x-t)]}{\sin(\frac{x-t}{2})} dtwhere S_n(x) is the partial sum and f(t) is the given function. We integrate over the period of the function, which is from -π to π.

3. What is the significance of using a partial sum in a Fourier series?

A partial sum in a Fourier series is a finite sum of terms that approximate the given function. By using a partial sum, we can get a good approximation of the original function without having to include an infinite number of terms. This makes it a more practical and useful tool in many applications.

4. What is the difference between a Fourier series and a Fourier transform?

A Fourier series is used to represent a periodic function as a sum of sine and cosine functions, while a Fourier transform is used to represent a non-periodic function as a sum of complex exponential functions. Additionally, a Fourier transform operates on the entire domain of a function, while a Fourier series only operates on a single period of a function.

5. What are some applications of Fourier series?

Fourier series have many applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and signal processing. Some common applications include image and sound compression, filtering and noise reduction, solving partial differential equations, and analyzing periodic phenomena in physics and engineering.