Fourier Transform and zero wave-vector

In summary, the speaker is unsure if their idea about the function limit in "r space" as r-> Infinity being equal to the value in "k-space" at 0 is a real thing or not. It is not a general rule and may only apply in certain contexts. The speaker's limit "theorem" does not seem to make sense and may not be applicable in all cases. The speaker is asked for more details about their work and the conversation ends with a counter example provided by the other speaker.
O_chemist
I am not sure if I am crazy, I am not a mathematician or physicist by training, but I recall doing some work where if I was interested in the limit of a function in "r space" as r-> Infinity I could just use the value of the function in "k-space" at 0 to get the value I was interested in. Is this a real thing or did I make this up(I have been known to be "creative" sometimes with my mathematics)? Perhaps more simply I could write:
Limit r-> Infinity of C(r) is equal to C_hat(k) for k = 0
Thank you in advance

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You probably didn't make it up, but it's not a general rule. It's a statement that could be true in certain contexts.

Do you have any more details about exactly what you were doing? This sounds a little like the final value theorem for Laplace transforms (see wikipedia), but without more information it isn't obvious to me what applies.

By the way, to me your limit "theorem" (at least as written) doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. If lim C(r) = 0, then you are saying that C_hat(k) = 0 at k=0. As a counter example, let C(r) = exp(-0.5 r^2); clearly lim C(r) = 0. The Fourier transform is proportional to exp(-0.5 k^2), which is not zero at k=0. Now if lim C(r) isn't zero, then its Fourier transform does not exist if k is real. Thus k is complex, but then the Fourier transform doesn't converge for k on the real axis, which includes zero of course.

cheers,

jason

FAQ: Fourier Transform and zero wave-vector

What is a Fourier Transform?

A Fourier Transform is a mathematical operation that decomposes a function into its frequency components. It allows us to view a signal as a combination of different sinusoidal waves with different frequencies, instead of just a time-based function.

What is the significance of a zero wave-vector in Fourier Transform?

A zero wave-vector in Fourier Transform refers to the lowest possible frequency component in a signal. It represents the average value or the direct current (DC) component of the signal.

How is a Fourier Transform calculated?

A Fourier Transform is typically calculated using an integral formula that involves complex numbers and trigonometric functions. However, there are also efficient algorithms such as the Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) that can be used to calculate it numerically.

What is the relationship between Fourier Transform and the frequency domain?

The Fourier Transform converts a signal from the time domain to the frequency domain, where the amplitude and phase of each frequency component can be analyzed. It allows us to identify the dominant frequencies in a signal and understand its underlying patterns.

What are some practical applications of Fourier Transform?

Fourier Transform has a wide range of applications in various fields such as signal processing, image and sound analysis, data compression, and solving differential equations. It is also used in technologies like MRI imaging, speech recognition, and radar systems.