Fourier Transform: Determining Constant in Convolution

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the convolution theorem to find the Fourier series of a function with the form h(t) = f(t)g(t). The constant a in the convolution is determined by the argument of the function and is necessary to find the Fourier transform of the product.
aaaa202
I have an exercise with a function of the form:

h(t) = f(t)g(t)

and f(t) and g(t) both have discrete Fourier series, which implies that h does too. I want to find the Fourier series of h, so my teacher said I should apply the convolution theorem which would turn the product above into a convolution in the frequency domain.

ωnf(a-ωn)g(ωn)

But the problem for me is that it seems arbitrary for me what the constant a should be? How is that determined?

The problem also arises in the case where I have a product as above but I want to find the Fourier transform (i.e. now not series but proper integral transform).
The FT will be a convolution but what determines the constant in the convolution?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose you have [tex]\hat{h}(a)=\sum_{\omega_n}\hat{f}(a-\omega_n)\hat{g}(\omega_n)[/tex],

so that a is the argument of h.

FAQ: Fourier Transform: Determining Constant in Convolution

1. What is the Fourier Transform and how is it used?

The Fourier Transform is a mathematical tool used to decompose a function or signal into its individual frequency components. It is commonly used in signal processing, image processing, and other areas of science and engineering to analyze and manipulate data.

2. How does the Fourier Transform help determine a constant in convolution?

The Fourier Transform of a convolution of two functions is equal to the product of the individual Fourier Transforms of those functions. By taking the inverse Fourier Transform of this product, we can determine the constant in convolution.

3. Can the Fourier Transform be used for non-linear systems?

Yes, the Fourier Transform can be applied to non-linear systems as well. However, the resulting frequency components may not be as easily interpretable as in linear systems.

4. What is the difference between the Fourier Transform and the Inverse Fourier Transform?

The Fourier Transform is used to decompose a function into its frequency components, while the Inverse Fourier Transform is used to reconstruct the original function from its frequency components.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Fourier Transform for determining constants in convolution?

Yes, the Fourier Transform assumes that the functions being convolved are periodic and have finite energy. Additionally, the Fourier Transform may not be able to accurately determine a constant if the convolution involves complex functions or has a large number of frequency components.