Fourier transform in curvilinear coordinates

In summary, a Fourier transform in curvilinear coordinates is a mathematical method used to express a function in terms of its frequency components in a non-Cartesian coordinate system. It differs from a regular Fourier transform in that it is based on a non-Cartesian coordinate system and can have limitations in terms of the physical interpretation of the resulting frequency components. However, it has many advantages, including simplifying the analysis of certain physical systems and providing insight into underlying symmetries. It is commonly used in fields such as optics, acoustics, and electromagnetic theory for applications such as antenna design and image processing.
FredFred
Hello, can you suggest a good book reference to find this:

I have a 3D coordinate system where the axis are:
1) locally tangential to a spiral in the equatorial plane;
2) perpendicular to 1 in the equatorial plane;
3) colatitude.

The direction of axes 1 and 2 changes with position.
I need to do the Fourier transform of a quantity and it's convenient that the 3D scalar product in the exponential exp(i k x) has one axis parallel to axis 1.
How the scalar product in exp(i k x) for the Fourier transform is expressed in the coordinates 1-2-3?
How the volume element dk_x dk_y dk_z reads in the coordiantes 1-2-3?
Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry. I would recommend the book "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary L. Boas. This book covers a variety of mathematical methods used in physics, including coordinate systems and Fourier transforms.

In particular, Chapter 9 covers Fourier transforms and their applications, including the use of different coordinate systems. It also includes examples and exercises that can help you understand how to express scalar products and volume elements in different coordinate systems.

I hope this helps and best of luck with your research!

FAQ: Fourier transform in curvilinear coordinates

1. What is a Fourier transform in curvilinear coordinates?

A Fourier transform in curvilinear coordinates is a mathematical method used to express a function in terms of its frequency components. It is often used in physics and engineering to analyze signals and systems.

2. How is a Fourier transform in curvilinear coordinates different from a regular Fourier transform?

In a regular Fourier transform, the function is expressed in terms of its frequency components in a Cartesian coordinate system. In a Fourier transform in curvilinear coordinates, the function is expressed in terms of its frequency components in a non-Cartesian coordinate system, such as polar or spherical coordinates.

3. What are the advantages of using a Fourier transform in curvilinear coordinates?

Using a Fourier transform in curvilinear coordinates can simplify the analysis of certain physical systems, as it allows us to work with functions that are more naturally expressed in non-Cartesian coordinate systems. It can also provide insight into the underlying symmetries of the system being studied.

4. Are there any limitations to using a Fourier transform in curvilinear coordinates?

One limitation is that the resulting frequency components may not have the same physical interpretation as in a regular Fourier transform. Also, the coordinate system used must have certain properties, such as orthogonality and completeness, for the transform to be valid.

5. How is a Fourier transform in curvilinear coordinates applied in real-world situations?

A Fourier transform in curvilinear coordinates has many applications in fields such as optics, acoustics, and electromagnetic theory. It can be used to analyze and design antennas, lenses, and other systems that involve waves and fields. It can also be applied in image processing and pattern recognition.