Fourier Transform limits problem

In summary, the Fourier Transform of $e^{-a|t|}Cosbt$ is $Re\left\{ \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{\left(-a+ib+iw\right)|t|} \,dt \right\}$.
ognik
Find the Fourier Transform of $ e^{-a|t|}Cosbt $

I'd like to simplify this using $Cosbt = Re\left\{e^{ibt}\right\}$

$\therefore \hat{f}(\omega) = Re\left\{ \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{\left(-a+ib+iw\right)|t|} \,dt \right\} = Re\left\{ \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \frac{1}{-a+ib+iw} e^{-a|t|}.e^{i(b+\omega)|t|}|^\infty_{-\infty} \right\}$

I think I can argue that the $e^{-a|t|}$ term dominates the $e^{i}$ term which is bounded. BUT the lower limit will make
$e^{-a|t|}$ infinite... is there a better way of approaching this FT?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should recall that
$$|t|=\begin{cases}\phantom{-}t,\; t\ge 0 \\ -t,\; t<0\end{cases}.$$
Then split up your integral into two pieces depending on where your integrand changes.

Ackbach said:
You should recall that
$$|t|=\begin{cases}\phantom{-}t,\; t\ge 0 \\ -t,\; t<0\end{cases}.$$
Thanks Ackbach and yes I should!

I'd appreciate if you'd please check the rest ... and sorry about the edits if we cross over.

What I did below seems wrong on reflection, I think I should take the real part only w.r.t. b - if that is possible?

If I did that, would the real part w.r.t. $\omega$ be the same as the Fourier Cosine Transform? And would the Fourier Sine Transform be just Imaginary part of that exponential Transform?

$$\hat{f}(\omega)= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} Re\left\{ \int_{-\infty}^{0} e^{at}e^{eibt}e^{i\omega t} \,dt +
\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{at}e^{eibt}e^{i\omega t} \,dt \right\} $$

$$ =\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} Re\left\{ \frac{1}{a+i(b+\omega)} e^{t(a+i(b+\omega))} |^0_{-\infty} + \frac{1}{-a+i(b+\omega)} e^{t(-a+i(b+\omega))} |^\infty_0 \right\} $$

$$ = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} Re\left\{ \frac{1}{a+i(b+\omega)} - \frac{1}{-a+i(b+\omega)} \right\}$$

$$= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \frac{2a}{a^2+(b+\omega)^2} ?$$

Also - would this be the same as the Fourier Cosine Transform? And would the Fourier Sine Transform be just Imaginary part of the exponential Transform?

Last edited:
Hi guys, what I would like to know is - can I do the FT using Euler's form for Cos(bt) - and then extract the real part w.r.t. b but leaving the complex parts w.r.t. wt? Or is the only possible approach here to use integration by parts?

I think your basic strategy is fine, but there are some details that may need improving:

\begin{align*}\hat{f}(\omega) &= \text{Re}\left\{ \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{\left(ib+iw\right)t} e^{-a|t|} \,dt \right\} \\
&=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\:\text{Re}\left\{ \int_{-\infty}^{0}e^{\left(ib+iw\right)t} e^{at} \,dt+
\int_{0}^{\infty}e^{\left(ib+iw\right)t} e^{-at} \,dt \right\} \\
&=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\:\text{Re}\left\{ \int_{-\infty}^{0}e^{\left(a+ib+iw\right)t} \,dt+
\int_{0}^{\infty}e^{\left(-a+ib+iw\right)t}\,dt \right\}.\end{align*}

Can you finish from here?

Related to Fourier Transform limits problem

1. What is the Fourier Transform limits problem?

The Fourier Transform limits problem is a mathematical concept that arises when attempting to perform a Fourier Transform on a function that does not have a finite integral. This leads to difficulties in calculating the frequency spectrum of the function.

2. Why is the Fourier Transform limits problem important?

The Fourier Transform is a fundamental tool in signal and image processing. Understanding the limitations and constraints of the Fourier Transform can help scientists and engineers properly analyze and manipulate signals and images.

3. How is the Fourier Transform limits problem solved?

The Fourier Transform limits problem can be solved by using a more general mathematical tool called the Laplace Transform. This allows for the analysis of functions that do not have finite integrals.

4. Can the Fourier Transform limits problem be avoided?

In some cases, the Fourier Transform limits problem can be avoided by carefully choosing the appropriate function or by using alternative methods of signal processing. However, in many cases, it is an inherent limitation of the Fourier Transform.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the Fourier Transform limits problem?

Yes, the Fourier Transform limits problem has practical applications in fields such as signal processing, image processing, and data analysis. For example, it is important to understand the limitations of the Fourier Transform when analyzing signals with infinite energy or signals with discontinuities.