Fourier Transform of a Square Annulus

In summary, the Fourier transform of a square annulus is a Bessel function, and the Fourier transform of a square aperture is a sinc function. The problem is separable--that is, you can transform x and y separately because your function has the form f(x,y)=g(x)h(y)where g and h are each the sum of two delta functions. The transform will be the product F(kx,ky)=G(kx)H(ky), where G and H each are cosines. If you make something like \frac{4 \sin\left(\frac{k_x}{2}\right) \sin\left(\frac{k
DrFurious
Hello all. I'm trying to compute the Fourier transform of a square annulus analytically. A "square annulus" would be the square analog of an infinitely thing ring (circular annulus). Here's what I know:

The Fourier transform of a circular annulus is a Bessel function. In polar coordinates,

[tex]\int_0^\infty\int_0^{2 \pi}\!\delta(r-a)e^{i k r \cos{\theta}}r\,\mathrm{d}r \,\mathrm{d}\theta=2 \pi J_0(ka)[/tex]

The Fourier transform of a square aperture is a sinc function:
[tex]\int_{-1/2}^{1/2}\int_{-1/2}^{1/2}e^{i(k_x + k_y y)}\mathrm{d}x\,\mathrm{d}y=\frac{4\sin\left(\frac{k_x}{2}\right)\sin\left(\frac{k_y}{2}\right)}{k_x k_y}[/tex]

I was thinking of maybe convolving the functions to get the correct output, but I'm not so sure. Any ideas on how to solve the square annulus problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try writing your annulus as a large square box minus a smaller square box. The FT will be the difference of two sincs.

I don't know if that quite does it. In that case, the annulus still has some thickness... I want it to be a true delta function.

I think that if one could take the derivative of the two dimensional box function and use that, then maybe something tractable might pop out...

Ah, I missed that you wanted a square line of infinitesimal thickness. In that case use delta functions. The problem is separable--that is, you can transform x and y separately because your function has the form
[tex]f(x,y)=g(x)h(y)[/tex]
where g and h are each the sum of two delta functions. Here's g
[tex]g(x)=a[\delta(x+x0)+\delta(x-x0)].[/tex]
The transform will be the product F(kx,ky)=G(kx)H(ky), where G and H each are cosines.

So this is getting trickier. I have attached two files: One is the Fourier transform of just a "square", and the other a "square annulus". I did these two numerically.

If you make something like

[tex]\frac{4 \sin\left(\frac{k_x}{2}\right) \sin\left(\frac{k_y}{2}\right)}{k_x k_y}-\frac{4 \sin\left(0.999\frac{k_x}{2}\right) \sin\left(0.999\frac{k_y}{2}\right)}{k_x k_y}[/tex]

You get the correct answer as you get closer to 1. However, there doesn't seem to be a way to do the limit analytically... (just get zero)

Separating the Fourier transform as suggested seems to produce a periodic sinusoidal "lattice", which is also not quite the correct answer.

There must be some technique I'm missing... maybe a way to do Fourier transforms piecewise, or some strange coordinate. I tried making this delta function box in polar coordinates but the integrals were too nasty.

Attachments

• fftsquareannulus.png
    fftsquareannulus.png
    35.4 KB · Views: 575
  • fftsquare.png
    fftsquare.png
    23.6 KB · Views: 527
Sorry, you are right, I flubbed the function f. It is a sum of four line segments, each of finite length.
[tex]f(x,y)=a[\delta(x+x_0)+\delta(x-x_0)]rect\left(\frac{y}{2y_0}\right)+a[\delta(y+y_0)+\delta(y-y_0)]rect\left(\frac{x}{2x_0}\right).[/tex]
Now do the x transform of f(x,y), then do the y transform of the result. You will get the sum of two terms, each of which is a product of a sinc times a cosine.

Sorry again to lead you astray.

Related to Fourier Transform of a Square Annulus

1. What is a Fourier Transform of a Square Annulus?

A Fourier Transform of a Square Annulus is a mathematical tool used to decompose a function or signal into its individual frequency components. It represents the original function as a sum of sinusoidal functions with different frequencies, amplitudes, and phases.

2. How is a Fourier Transform of a Square Annulus calculated?

The Fourier Transform of a Square Annulus is calculated by taking the integral of the function over all frequencies. This integral can be solved analytically or numerically using software or algorithms.

3. What is the application of a Fourier Transform of a Square Annulus?

A Fourier Transform of a Square Annulus has many applications in signal processing, image processing, and data analysis. It is used to filter, compress, and analyze signals and images, as well as to solve differential equations and partial differential equations.

4. What are the properties of a Fourier Transform of a Square Annulus?

Some of the important properties of a Fourier Transform of a Square Annulus include linearity, time and frequency shifting, convolution, and duality. These properties help in simplifying calculations and understanding the behavior of signals and systems.

5. Is a Fourier Transform of a Square Annulus reversible?

Yes, a Fourier Transform of a Square Annulus is reversible. This means that the original function can be obtained by taking the inverse Fourier Transform of its frequency components. This property is used in image reconstruction and signal reconstruction.