Fourier Transform of Curl & Divergence Free Vector Function

And finally, using the definition of the Fourier transform for \vec{f}(\vec{r}), we can write the final expression as:\vec{f_{\parallel}}(\vec{k}) = -\vec{\nabla} \left( \frac{1}{4 \pi} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} d^3r' \vec{f}(\vec{k'}) \cdot \vec{k'} \frac{e^{- i \vec{k} \cdot \vec{r'}}}{|\vec{k}-\vec{k'}|^2} \right) We can apply a similar approach for \vec{f_{\perp}}(\vec{
LocationX
A vector function can be decomposed to form a curl free and divergence
free parts:

[tex]\vec{f}(\vec{r})=\vec{f_{\parallel}}(\vec{r'})+\vec{f_{\perp}}(\vec{r'})[/tex]

where

[tex]\vec{f_{\parallel}}(\vec{r'}) = - \vec{\nabla} \left( \frac{1}{4
\pi} \int d^3 r' \frac{\vec{\nabla'} \cdot
\vec{f}(\vec{r'})}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r'}|} \right)[/tex]

and

[tex]\vec{f_{\perp}}(\vec{r'}) = \vec{\nabla} \times \left( \frac{1}{4
\pi} \int d^3 r' \frac{\vec{\nabla'} \times
\vec{f}(\vev{r'})}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r'}|}[/tex]

I am trying to take the Fourier transform of
[itex]\vec{f_{\parallel}}(\vec{r'})[/itex] and
[itex]\vec{f_{\perp}}(\vec{r})[/itex]

I am starting at [itex]\vec{f_{\parallel}}(\vec{r'})[/itex]. We know
that the Fourier transform is given by:

[tex] \vec{f}(\vec{k}) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} d^3r e^{- i \vec{k}
\cdot \vec{r}} \vec{f}(\vec{r}) [/tex]

[tex] \vec{f}(\vec{r}) = \frac{1}{(2 \pi)^3} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}
d^3k e^{- i \vec{k} \cdot \vec{r}} \vec{f}(\vec{k}) [/tex]

I'm not exactly sure where to begin. If I just plug and chug , we'd have:

[tex] \vec{f}(\vec{k}) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} d^3r e^{- i \vec{k}
\cdot \vec{r}} \vec{f}(\vec{r}) [/tex]

[tex] \vec{f}(\vec{k}) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{- i \vec{k} \cdot
\vec{r}} - \vec{\nabla} \left( \frac{1}{4 \pi} \int
\frac{\vec{\nabla'} \cdot \vec{f}(\vec{r'})}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r'}|} d^3
r' \right) d^3r [/tex]

I just do not see a simple way of tacking this problem. Any thoughts
would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for bringing up this interesting topic. I can provide some insights on how to approach this problem. The first step in solving this problem is to recognize that the Fourier transform is a linear operator, which means that it can be applied to each term separately. This will help us break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts.

Let's start with \vec{f_{\parallel}}(\vec{r'}). Using the definition of the Fourier transform, we can write:

\vec{f_{\parallel}}(\vec{k}) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} d^3r' e^{- i \vec{k} \cdot \vec{r'}} \vec{f_{\parallel}}(\vec{r'})

Next, we can use the definition of \vec{f_{\parallel}}(\vec{r'}) to simplify the integral as follows:

\vec{f_{\parallel}}(\vec{k}) = -\vec{\nabla} \left( \frac{1}{4 \pi} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} d^3r' e^{- i \vec{k} \cdot \vec{r'}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\vec{\nabla'} \cdot \vec{f}(\vec{r'})}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r'}|} d^3r \right)

Now, we can use the convolution theorem for Fourier transforms, which states that the Fourier transform of a convolution is the product of the individual Fourier transforms. In this case, we have a convolution between e^{- i \vec{k} \cdot \vec{r'}} and \frac{\vec{\nabla'} \cdot \vec{f}(\vec{r'})}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r'}|}. Therefore, we can write:

\vec{f_{\parallel}}(\vec{k}) = -\vec{\nabla} \left( \frac{1}{4 \pi} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} d^3r' e^{- i \vec{k} \cdot \vec{r'}} \frac{\vec{\nabla'} \cdot \vec{f}(\vec{r'})}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r'}|}

Related to Fourier Transform of Curl & Divergence Free Vector Function

1. What is the Fourier Transform of a Curl and Divergence Free Vector Function?

The Fourier Transform of a Curl and Divergence Free Vector Function is a mathematical operation that transforms the function from its original spatial domain to the frequency domain. It allows us to analyze the function in terms of its frequency components rather than its spatial components.

2. Why do we use Fourier Transform for Curl and Divergence Free Vector Functions?

Fourier Transform is used for Curl and Divergence Free Vector Functions because it simplifies the analysis of these functions in the frequency domain. This makes it easier to understand and solve complex problems involving these vector functions.

3. What is the relationship between Curl and Divergence Free Vector Functions and Fourier Transform?

The relationship between Curl and Divergence Free Vector Functions and Fourier Transform is that these vector functions can be expressed as a combination of sinusoidal functions in the frequency domain. This allows us to use Fourier Transform to analyze and manipulate these vector functions.

4. How does Fourier Transform help in solving differential equations involving Curl and Divergence Free Vector Functions?

Fourier Transform helps in solving differential equations involving Curl and Divergence Free Vector Functions by converting the equations from the spatial domain to the frequency domain. This simplifies the equations and makes it easier to find solutions in terms of frequency components.

5. Can Curl and Divergence Free Vector Functions be expressed as a Fourier series?

Yes, Curl and Divergence Free Vector Functions can be expressed as a Fourier series. This means that they can be represented as a sum of sinusoidal functions with different frequencies and amplitudes. The coefficients of the Fourier series can be calculated using the Fourier Transform of the vector function.

Back