Fourier Transform of Dirac Comb/Impulse Train

In summary: So the result would be:$$\frac{1}{T}\sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty\delta(f-\frac{n}{T})=\sum_{k=-\infty}^\infty c_k\cdot e^{i2\pi k-iT}\cdots\cdots[5]$$
Terocamo
With Dirac Comb is defined as follow:
$$III(t)=\sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty\delta(t-nT)$$
Fourier Transform from t domain to frequency domain can be obtained by:
$$F(f)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(t)\cdot e^{-i2\pi ft}dt$$
I wonder why directly apply the above equation does not work for the Dirac Comb:
$$F(III(t))=\sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\delta(t-nT)\cdot e^{i2\pi ft}dt$$
$$III(f)=\sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty e^{-i2\pi fnT}dt\cdots\cdots [1]$$
Where the correct way to obtain the FT of Dirac Comb is to first find the Fourier series, and then do the Fourier Transform for each term in the summation.
Writing III(t) as Fourier Series:
$$III(t)=\frac{1}{T}\sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty e^{i2\pi nt/T}$$
Doing Fourier Transform:
$$III(f)=\frac{1}{T}\sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{i2\pi nt/T}\cdot e^{-i2\pi ft} dt\cdots\cdots [2]$$
$$III(f)=\frac{1}{T}\sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty\delta(f-\frac{n}{T})\cdots\cdots [3]$$

I copied the upper section from a open lecture slide, and I don't even understand how it goes from [2] to [3], not to mention [1] and [3] are totally not the same thing. Any hints guys?

Physics news on Phys.org
Terocamo said:
$$III(f)=\sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty e^{-i2\pi fnT}dt\cdots\cdots [1]$$
The ##dt## shouldn't be there.
Terocamo said:
[1] and [3] are totally not the same thing.
They are equivalent. To see this, consider a function ##f(x) = \sum_n \delta (x-na)##. This is a periodic function with periodicity ##a##, which means it can be expanded in Fourier series. So
$$
f(x) = \sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty} \delta (x-na) = \sum_{k=-\infty}^{\infty} c_k \hspace{0.5mm}e^{-i2\pi x/a}
$$
Find ##c_k## and you will see that [1] and [3] are equivalent.
Terocamo said:
I don't even understand how it goes from [2] to [3]
That's the Fourier definition of delta function
$$
\delta(x-a) = \frac{1}{2\pi} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{ik(x-a)} \hspace{1mm} dk
$$

blue_leaf77 said:
They are equivalent. To see this, consider a function ##f(x) = \sum_n \delta (x-na)##. This is a periodic function with periodicity ##a##, which means it can be expanded in Fourier series. So
$$
f(x) = \sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty} \delta (x-na) = \sum_{k=-\infty}^{\infty} c_k \hspace{0.5mm}e^{-i2\pi x/a}
$$
Find ##c_k## and you will see that [1] and [3] are equivalent.

$$
Oh I get it, with III(f) having a period of 1/T, the Fourier series should write:
$$\frac{1}{T}\sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty\delta(f-\frac{n}{T})=\sum_{k=-\infty}^\infty c_k\cdot e^{i2\pi kfT}\cdots\cdots[4]$$
$$c_k= T\cdot\int_{0}^{1/T} \sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty\delta(f-\frac{n}{T}) \cdot e^{-i2\pi kfT}=1$$

Putting c_k=1 back to [4] results in:
$$\sum_{k=-\infty}^\infty e^{i2\pi kfT} = \text{(1)}$$

Just to clear my concept, s this equivalent to (1) since the exponent missed out a -ve sign, but k ranged from -inf to inf so its just the same?

Terocamo said:
$$\frac{1}{T}\sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty\delta(f-\frac{n}{T})=\sum_{k=-\infty}^\infty c_k\cdot e^{i2\pi kfT}\cdots\cdots[4]$$
The used definition for Fourier series in complex form is to use negative exponent.

Related to Fourier Transform of Dirac Comb/Impulse Train

What is the Fourier Transform of Dirac Comb/Impulse Train?

The Fourier Transform of Dirac Comb/Impulse Train is a mathematical tool used to represent a periodic signal as a sum of sinusoidal functions with different frequencies, amplitudes, and phases. It is a continuous function in the frequency domain that corresponds to a discrete function in the time domain.

What is the significance of the Dirac Comb/Impulse Train in signal processing?

The Dirac Comb/Impulse Train is a fundamental concept in signal processing, as it represents an idealized version of a periodic signal. It is used to model signals with a repeating pattern, such as a pulse or a square wave, and is often used in the analysis and synthesis of more complex signals.

How does the Fourier Transform of Dirac Comb/Impulse Train relate to the Dirac Delta function?

The Dirac Delta function is a special case of the Dirac Comb/Impulse Train, where the impulses are infinitely narrow and infinitely tall. The Fourier Transform of the Dirac Delta function is a constant, indicating that the signal contains all frequencies with equal amplitudes. This is known as the Fourier Transform pair.

What is the difference between the Fourier Series and the Fourier Transform of Dirac Comb/Impulse Train?

The Fourier Series is used to represent a periodic signal as a sum of sinusoidal functions with discrete frequencies, amplitudes, and phases. The Fourier Transform of Dirac Comb/Impulse Train, on the other hand, is used to represent a periodic signal as a continuous function in the frequency domain. The Fourier Series is appropriate for analyzing signals with a finite duration, while the Fourier Transform is more suitable for signals with an infinite duration.

How is the Fourier Transform of Dirac Comb/Impulse Train calculated?

The Fourier Transform of Dirac Comb/Impulse Train can be calculated using the formula: F(w) = a * sum(d(n) * e^(-jwn)), where F(w) is the Fourier Transform in the frequency domain, a is the amplitude of each impulse, and d(n) is the Dirac Comb/Impulse Train in the time domain. This formula can be generalized to include a frequency scaling factor and a phase shift for more complex signals.