Fourier Transform of e^(ip0x)F(x) to F(p)

In summary, you can use any variable to rewrite the equation for ##\underline{g}(p)## and it will still be true. You can also use this equation to calculate ##g(p)## when ##y = p - p_0##.
kathrynlaa

Homework Statement

f(p) is the Fourier transform of f(x). Show that the Fourier Transform of eipox f(x) is f(p- p0).

Homework Equations

I'm using these versions of the Fourier transform:
f(x)=1/√(2π)∫eixpf(p)dx
f(p)=1/√(2π)∫e-ixpf(x)dx

The Attempt at a Solution

I have:
f(p)=1/√(2π)∫eix(po-p)f(x)dx
which is the same as:
f(p)=1/√(2π)∫e-ix(p-po)f(x)dx
but I don't know where to go from here. I think I need to make a substitution using the original transform as I don't need to solve the integral. My other idea is that I have nearly proved it so just need to state the theory as to why this proves it; however, I don't know what that theory would be.
Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are using ##\underline{f}(p)## to refer to two different integrals which are not equal.

To avoid confusion, I suggest defining a new function. Let ##g(x) = e^{ip_0x}f(x)##. Then the goal is to show that ##\underline{g}(p) = \underline{f}(p - p_0)##. You have already established that
$$\underline{g}(p) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int e^{-ix(p - p_0)}f(x) dx$$
Can you express this in terms of ##\underline{f}##?

I understand why I should of renamed the functions but I really can't figure out the next step.
I realize this is the final aim:
g(p) = 1/√(2π)∫eix(p - p0f(x) dx = f(p-p0)
But I don't know how f(x) is related to f(p-p0) and the best I seem able to do is get g(p) in terms of g(x), which is useless.
Sorry I'm being dense!

You have
$$\underline{f}(p) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} e^{-ixp} f(x) dx$$
so what is ##\underline{f}(p - p_0)##? Just replace ##p## with ##p - p_0## in the equation above. What can you conclude?

Maybe to make it clearer, recognize that I can use any variable instead of ##p## and the equation will still be true. For example,
$$\underline{f}(y) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} e^{-ixy} f(x) dx$$
What does this give you when ##y = p - p_0##?

Related to Fourier Transform of e^(ip0x)F(x) to F(p)

1. What is the purpose of the Fourier Transform?

The Fourier Transform is a mathematical operation that decomposes a function into its frequency components. It is used to analyze signals and systems in many fields, including mathematics, physics, engineering, and data analysis.

2. What does the "e^(ip0x)" term represent in the Fourier Transform equation?

The term "e^(ip0x)" is a complex exponential function that represents the phase of the signal at a given frequency. It is necessary for representing non-sinusoidal signals in the Fourier Transform.

3. How does the Fourier Transform convert a function from the time domain to the frequency domain?

The Fourier Transform integrates a function over all possible frequencies to determine the amplitude and phase of each frequency component. This results in a representation of the function in the frequency domain, where the x-axis represents frequency and the y-axis represents amplitude or phase.

4. What is the significance of the "F(x)" term in the Fourier Transform equation?

The "F(x)" term represents the original function in the time domain. It is multiplied by the complex exponential function and then integrated to determine the frequency components of the function.

5. How is the Fourier Transform used in practical applications?

The Fourier Transform has many practical applications, including signal processing, image and sound compression, and data analysis. It is used to filter out noise from signals, compress large amounts of data, and identify patterns in data sets.