Foxhole radio problems that are way over my head

• Thread starter sam_cursed
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Head Radio
In summary, a Foxhole radio is a simple radio receiver that can be made from household items. It uses a crystal diode and an antenna to convert radio waves into sound waves. Common problems that can occur with Foxhole radios include weak or no signal, interference, and antenna placement issues. To improve signal strength, you can adjust the antenna, add a ground wire, or use a stronger crystal diode. Interference can be reduced by changing locations, using a different diode, or adding shielding. However, Foxhole radios cannot tune into specific stations and can only receive signals from nearby transmitters based on location and signal strength.
sam_cursed

Homework Statement

A radio station transmits 680kHz at a power of 50000W from a transmitter. Estimate the strength of the signal as it was received by the antenna 35 km away.

Homework Equations

I don't know any equation for this that's the problem!

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't find the relation between frequency, power and distance anywhere in my textbook T_T. My teacher is evil T_T.

This is an AP course btw T_T.

Physics news on Phys.org
wait am i in the wrong section or...

FAQ: Foxhole radio problems that are way over my head

1. What is a Foxhole radio and how does it work?

A Foxhole radio is a simple radio receiver made from common household items. It works by using a crystal diode and an antenna to convert radio waves into sound waves.

2. What are some common problems that can occur with a Foxhole radio?

Some common problems with Foxhole radios include weak or no signal, interference from other electronic devices, and antenna placement issues.

3. How can I improve the signal strength of my Foxhole radio?

To improve the signal strength, you can try changing the length or placement of the antenna, adding a ground wire, or using a stronger crystal diode.

4. What are some potential solutions for interference with a Foxhole radio?

One solution for interference is to move the radio to a different location. You can also try using a different type of crystal diode or adding shielding material around the radio.

5. Can I use a Foxhole radio to pick up specific radio stations?

No, Foxhole radios are not capable of tuning into specific stations. They can only receive signals from nearby radio transmitters, so the stations you pick up will depend on your location and the strength of the signals in your area.