FPGAs, GALs and PALs in industry

• Thread starter Bipolarity
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Industry
In summary, programmable chips are commonly used in industry standard electronics and computers. Many of the applications my customers work with could only be run on DSP - 20 years ago due to the type and power of the processing needed. Today, they are moving to FPGA, or even more powerful PICs - or hybrids. So I do not think of these as alternates or one replacing the other, but more tools available to the engineers.
Bipolarity
To electronics and computer engineers currently working in industry, how often do you use these? Were you already trained in VHDL/HDL/Verilog or whatever language you used to configure them before you were given the assignments?

In general, are programmable chips commonly used in industry standard electronics and computers? If not, how are large complex computer systems usually designed?

BiP

Engineering news on Phys.org
I know that some TV's contain FPGA's. B&O have FPGA's in their TV's. I'm unsure whether Samsung and Phillips also have, but its plausible.

Hello BiPO - The use of programmable arrays - has benefits over other types of programmable devices. While they can often be "programmed" with sequential program - their strength is to be able to have "hard logic" used for part - ore all of the application, as well as price. Many of the applications my customers work with could only be run on DSP - 20 years ago due to the type and power of the processing needed. Today, they are moving to FPGA, or even more powerful PICs - or hybrids.
So I do not think of these are alternates or one replacing the other - but more tools available to the engineers, and have more options to choose what is best for a particular application.
IMO - work on your coding skills - these can be applied the most universally.

We use FPGAs and CPLDs for several applications. We use very large Xilinx FPGAs to prototype our new ICs, so that we can run tests on them and shake out bugs before we commit to the custom silicon of the final ICs.

I use CPLDs in my embedded controller designs, since it let's me sweep up lots of random logic, and also helps me do the memory control portion of the product. Usually 32-128 cell CPLDs are big enough for those functions. The big Xilinx designs are done in Verilog, and I usually do my CPLD designs in VHDL or AHDL.

It is very common to use Verilog and FPGAs in products that are designed here in Silicon Valley. I think that is a valuable skillset to learn. When you work on custom IC design, Verilog is typically used, so that's another reason to learn it.

olar Programmable Logic Devices (PLDs) such as Field Programmable Gate Arrays (FPGAs), Generic Array Logic (GALs), and Programmable Array Logic (PALs) have become essential components in modern electronics and computer systems. These programmable chips offer flexibility, cost-effectiveness, and faster time-to-market compared to traditional ASICs (Application-Specific Integrated Circuits). In my experience as a scientist in industry, FPGAs, GALs, and PALs are commonly used in various applications ranging from consumer electronics to industrial automation and aerospace.

I have been trained in VHDL and other hardware description languages (HDLs) to configure these programmable chips. However, I have also worked with engineers who were not specifically trained in these languages but were able to learn and use them effectively on the job. This highlights the importance of continuous learning and adaptation in the fast-paced technology industry.

In industry, programmable chips are widely used due to their versatility and ability to be reconfigured for different functionalities. They are particularly useful in prototyping and testing designs before committing to expensive ASIC fabrication. Additionally, FPGAs, GALs, and PALs allow for easier design modifications and updates, making them ideal for rapidly evolving industries.

That being said, not all complex computer systems are designed using programmable chips. In some cases, custom ASICs may still be the preferred option for high-volume, specialized applications. However, even in these cases, FPGAs are often used in the design and testing phase before transitioning to ASICs.

Overall, programmable chips have greatly revolutionized the electronics and computer industry, allowing for faster and more cost-effective development of systems. As technology continues to advance, I believe these programmable chips will only become more prevalent in industry and play a crucial role in the design and development of complex computer systems.

olar junction transistors (BJTs) and CMOS (Complementary Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor) are the most commonly used technologies in industry for designing electronic circuits. However, in certain applications where flexibility and customization are crucial, Field Programmable Gate Arrays (FPGAs), Generic Array Logic (GALs), and Programmable Array Logic (PALs) are widely used.

FPGAs, GALs, and PALs offer the advantage of being reprogrammable, allowing engineers to quickly and easily make changes to the circuit design without having to physically redesign the hardware. This makes them particularly useful in industries where product development cycles are short and changes need to be made frequently.

I cannot speak for all electronics and computer engineers in industry, but based on my knowledge and experience, these programmable chips are used quite often in various industries such as telecommunications, aerospace, automotive, and consumer electronics. In fact, FPGAs are becoming increasingly popular in many high-performance computing applications as well.

In terms of training, it is common for engineers to have some background in hardware description languages such as VHDL, HDL, or Verilog before working with FPGAs, GALs, and PALs. However, many companies also provide on-the-job training for their engineers to become proficient in using these programmable chips.

While programmable chips are commonly used in industry, they are not the only method of designing large complex computer systems. Other methods include using Application Specific Integrated Circuits (ASICs) and System on Chip (SoC) designs. These methods require more upfront design and development time, but can offer higher performance and lower power consumption compared to programmable chips.

In conclusion, FPGAs, GALs, and PALs are widely used in industry for their flexibility and customization capabilities. While engineers may receive training in hardware description languages, on-the-job training is also common. However, other methods such as ASICs and SoCs are also used for designing large complex computer systems in certain industries.

Related to FPGAs, GALs and PALs in industry

1. What are FPGAs, GALs, and PALs?

FPGAs, GALs, and PALs are all types of programmable logic devices (PLDs) used in the electronics industry. PLDs are integrated circuits that can be programmed and reprogrammed to perform specific logic functions, making them highly versatile and cost-effective solutions for a variety of applications.

2. How are FPGAs, GALs, and PALs used in industry?

FPGAs, GALs, and PALs are used in a wide range of industries, including telecommunications, aerospace, automotive, and consumer electronics. They are typically used in applications where fast processing speeds, high logic density, and flexibility are required. Some common uses include digital signal processing, data encryption, and control and monitoring systems.

3. What are the advantages of using FPGAs, GALs, and PALs over traditional logic devices?

One of the main advantages of using PLDs over traditional logic devices is their flexibility and programmability. This allows for faster development and prototyping, as well as easier modifications and updates. Additionally, PLDs can often perform complex logic functions with fewer components, resulting in cost savings and reduced board space.

4. What factors should be considered when selecting an FPGA, GAL, or PAL for a specific application?

When selecting a PLD for a specific application, it is important to consider factors such as logic density, performance requirements, power consumption, and cost. Additionally, the device's programming capabilities, development tools, and compatibility with other components should also be taken into account.

5. How do FPGAs, GALs, and PALs contribute to the advancement of technology in various industries?

FPGAs, GALs, and PALs play a crucial role in the advancement of technology in various industries. Their programmability and high-speed processing capabilities allow for the development of innovative and complex systems, such as artificial intelligence, autonomous vehicles, and 5G networks. Additionally, their cost-effectiveness and versatility make them accessible for a wide range of applications, driving further technological advancements in various industries.