Fraction of heat energy used to do expansion work of a gas?

In summary, the problem involves finding the fraction of heat energy used for expansion work in a monatomic ideal gas with constant pressure. The solution involves using the internal energy formula and substituting the equations for heat and work, which results in (3/2)(PΔV) for the change in internal energy. This can then be simplified to 2/5 for the ratio of work to heat.
JustinLiang

Homework Statement

Heat Q flows into a monatomic ideal gas, and the volume increases while the pressure is kept constant. What fraction of the heat energy is used to do the expansion work of the gas?

Homework Equations

ΔU = Q - W
Q = nC_pΔT
W = PΔV
C_p = C_v + R => C_p = 3R/2 + R => C_p = 5R/2

The Attempt at a Solution

So we sub in the Q and W in the internal energy formula and we get:
ΔU = nC_pΔT - PΔV
ΔU = (5/2)(nRΔT) - PΔV
ΔU = (5/2)(PΔV) - PΔV
ΔU = (3/2)(PΔV)

Therefore we can take ΔU/Q to find the fraction:
(3/2)(PΔV)/(5/2)(PΔV)

Which gives me 3/5. However the answer is 2/5. What am I doing wrong?
Personally, I think the answer key is wrong.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I know this is an old question, but I thought I'd reply for future students that need help with this question.

All of the work shown is right, except for the very end. The question wants the ratio of W/Q, while the original poster found the ratio of ΔU/Q.

W/Q =
PΔV / (5/2)(PΔV) = 2/5

Could someone please explain to me how (nRΔT) = PΔV in the third step of this derivation?

BabyPhys said:
Could someone please explain to me how (nRΔT) = PΔV in the third step of this derivation?
Ideal gas law. PV=nRT. If P is constant, then PΔV=nRΔT

Chet

Related to Fraction of heat energy used to do expansion work of a gas?

1. What is the fraction of heat energy used to do expansion work of a gas?

The fraction of heat energy used to do expansion work of a gas is known as the thermal efficiency. It is calculated by dividing the work done by the heat supplied, and is represented as a decimal or percentage.

2. How is the fraction of heat energy used to do expansion work of a gas related to the laws of thermodynamics?

The fraction of heat energy used to do expansion work of a gas is related to the first and second laws of thermodynamics. The first law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. The second law states that in any energy conversion, there will be a loss of usable energy, which is represented by the thermal efficiency.

3. Can the fraction of heat energy used to do expansion work of a gas be greater than 1?

No, the fraction of heat energy used to do expansion work of a gas cannot be greater than 1. This would violate the laws of thermodynamics, as it would mean that the work output is greater than the input of heat energy.

4. How can the fraction of heat energy used to do expansion work of a gas be improved?

The fraction of heat energy used to do expansion work of a gas can be improved by reducing the amount of heat loss during the expansion process. This can be achieved by using insulation or by increasing the efficiency of the equipment used to convert heat energy into work.

5. How is the fraction of heat energy used to do expansion work of a gas relevant in real-world applications?

The fraction of heat energy used to do expansion work of a gas is relevant in various real-world applications, such as power plants, car engines, and refrigerators. Understanding and improving this fraction can lead to more efficient and sustainable energy usage, reducing waste and costs in these applications.