Fractional change in wavelength

In summary, when a photon is emitted from an atom, the atom experiences recoil due to the difference in energies between the states involved in the transition. To calculate the fractional change in wavelength of light emitted, momentum conservation and energy conservation equations can be used to find the velocity and energy of the photon released. This will result in a quadratic equation for the energy change.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

When a photon is emitted from an atom the atom recoils. The kinetic energy of recoil and the energy of photon come from the difference in energies between the states involved in the transition. Suppose a hydrogen atom changes its state from n=3 to n=2. Calculate the fractional change in wavelength of light emitted due to the recoil.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Difference in energies of states = -13.6(1/4 - 1/9)

This is equal to sum of KE of recoil and energy of photon(ΔE).

[itex] \dfrac{mv^2}{2} + \delta E = -13.6 \left( 1/4 - 1/9 \right) [/itex]
From this I can find energy of photon released only if I know the velocity v.

Physics news on Phys.org
What else might be conserved?

haruspex said:
What else might be conserved?

Momentum.
Using momentum conservation I can write

ΔE/c=mv.

Now if I plug v into energy conservation equation. I will get a quadratic in ΔE. Am I on the right track?

utkarshakash said:
Momentum.
Using momentum conservation I can write

ΔE/c=mv.

Now if I plug v into energy conservation equation. I will get a quadratic in ΔE. Am I on the right track?

That's what I would do.

However, the velocity of recoil is not given in the question. To calculate the fractional change in wavelength, we need to know the initial and final wavelengths of the photon.

The fractional change in wavelength can be calculated as:

\dfrac{\Delta \lambda}{\lambda} = \dfrac{\Delta E}{E}

Since the energy of the photon is directly proportional to its frequency and inversely proportional to its wavelength, the fractional change in wavelength can also be written as:

\dfrac{\Delta \lambda}{\lambda} = \dfrac{\Delta \nu}{\nu} = \dfrac{\nu_f - \nu_i}{\nu_i}

Using the Rydberg formula, we can find the initial and final frequencies of the photon:

\nu_i = \dfrac{1}{\lambda_i} = R \left( \dfrac{1}{n_i^2} \right)

\nu_f = \dfrac{1}{\lambda_f} = R \left( \dfrac{1}{n_f^2} \right)

Substituting these values in the equation for the fractional change in wavelength, we get:

\dfrac{\Delta \lambda}{\lambda} = \dfrac{R \left( \dfrac{1}{n_f^2} \right) - R \left( \dfrac{1}{n_i^2} \right)}{R \left( \dfrac{1}{n_i^2} \right)}

Simplifying this expression, we get:

\dfrac{\Delta \lambda}{\lambda} = \dfrac{n_i^2 - n_f^2}{n_i^2}

Substituting the values n_i = 3 and n_f = 2, we get:

\dfrac{\Delta \lambda}{\lambda} = \dfrac{3^2 - 2^2}{3^2} = \dfrac{5}{9}

Therefore, the fractional change in wavelength is 5/9 or approximately 0.56. This means that the wavelength of the emitted photon will decrease by approximately 56% due to the recoil of the hydrogen atom.

Related to Fractional change in wavelength

1. What is fractional change in wavelength?

Fractional change in wavelength is a measure of how much a wavelength changes compared to its original value. It is calculated by taking the difference between the final wavelength and the initial wavelength, divided by the initial wavelength.

2. How is fractional change in wavelength related to frequency?

Fractional change in wavelength and frequency are inversely proportional. This means that as the wavelength decreases, the frequency increases, and vice versa. Therefore, if there is a large fractional change in wavelength, there will be a corresponding large fractional change in frequency.

3. How is fractional change in wavelength different from absolute change in wavelength?

Fractional change in wavelength takes into account the original value of the wavelength, while absolute change in wavelength only considers the numerical difference between the final and initial values. This means that fractional change in wavelength is a more accurate measure of how much a wavelength has changed.

4. What causes a fractional change in wavelength?

A fractional change in wavelength can be caused by various factors, such as the Doppler effect, which occurs when there is relative motion between the source of the wave and the observer. It can also be affected by changes in the medium through which the wave is traveling, such as changes in temperature or density.

5. How is fractional change in wavelength used in scientific research?

Fractional change in wavelength is a useful tool in many fields of science, including astronomy, physics, and chemistry. It can be used to study the behavior of waves in different environments, to analyze the movement of celestial objects, and to make precise measurements in experiments. It is also used in the development of technologies such as lasers and fiber optics.

Back