Fractional energy loss per cycle in a heavy damped oscillator

In summary, the conversation discusses the method for deriving the fractional energy loss per cycle in a lightly damped oscillator on pages 9 and 10 of a PDF. The derivation for a heavily damped oscillator is also mentioned, as well as a website that provides a correct derivation. The conversation also includes a discussion on calculating the fractional energy loss per cycle for a specific Q factor, with the final answer being 0.65. The conversation is a helpful resource for understanding damped harmonic motion and its calculations.
elemis
http://www1.gantep.edu.tr/~physics/media/kunena/attachments/382/chapter2.pdf

On page 9 and 10 of the above PDF the method for deriving the fractional energy loss per cycle in a lightly damped oscillator is described.

I understand and follow this derivation.

What would the derivation for a heavily damped oscillator be ? What approximations would I have to make ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The site seems to use 'lightly damped' to mean damped, but less than critically. So any damped response that is oscillatory is 'lightly damped'. 'Heavily damped' must. then, mean critically or more than critically damped, so there are no oscillations and it doesn't make sense to talk about fractional energy loss per cycle!

elemis said:
[I understand and follow this derivation.

I would be happier if you had asked why the derivation in the PDF was wrong (or being charitable, it's an approximate result with no explanation of how it was derived).

Judging by that sample chapter, this is a terrible book - don't buy it!

Here's a website that does it right:
http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/315/Waves/node9.html
http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/315/Waves/node10.html

A text, prepared with Microsoft Word has to be treated with great suspicion. That's at least my experience. :devil:

Fitzpatrick's manuscripts are always a pleasure to read and, no surprise, they are written in LaTeX :smile:

AlephZero said:
I would be happier if you had asked why the derivation in the PDF was wrong (or being charitable, it's an approximate result with no explanation of how it was derived).

Judging by that sample chapter, this is a terrible book - don't buy it!

Here's a website that does it right:
http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/315/Waves/node9.html
http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/315/Waves/node10.html

I understand the derivation (sort of) due to a similar derivation in my lecture notes.

To everyone else : The problem is I have a question where the Q factor is 3 and I am asked to calculate the fractional energy loss per cycle.

I simply have no idea how to determine this...

Taking the standard form of the damped shm equation as [itex] \ddot{x} + 2\alpha \dot{x} + \omega_0^2 x = 0[/itex], then Q is defined as [itex]\frac{\omega_0}{2\alpha}[/itex].
So, knowing Q, you can express [itex] \alpha[/itex] in terms of [itex]\omega_0[/itex].

But you know that the solution of the damped shm equation is a sinusoid with an exponentially decaying amplitude, and you have equations for the amplitude, in terms of [itex] \alpha[/itex], and for the frequency of the sinusoid, in terms of [itex] \omega_0 [/itex] and [itex] \alpha[/itex]. From the second of these you can find the periodic time, T. Substitute this for t in the amplitude equation and the job is virtually done.

I think that, for Q = 3, the amplitude after a cycle is 0.35 of its original value. I would say, "Check your answer against mine", but I'm prone to slips.

Last edited:
Philip Wood said:
Taking the standard form of the damped shm equation as [itex] \ddot{x} + 2\alpha \dot{x} + \omega_0^2 x = 0[/itex], then Q is defined as [itex]\frac{\omega_0}{2\alpha}[/itex].
So, knowing Q, you can express [itex] \alpha[/itex] in terms of [itex]\omega_0[/itex].

But you know that the solution of the damped shm equation is a sinusoid with an exponentially decaying amplitude, and you have equations for the amplitude, in terms of [itex] \alpha[/itex], and for the frequency of the sinusoid, in terms of [itex] \omega_0 [/itex] and [itex] \alpha[/itex]. From the second of these you can find the periodic time, T. Substitute this for t in the amplitude equation and the job is virtually done.

I think that, for Q = 3, the amplitude after a cycle is 0.35 of its original value. I would say, "Check your answer against mine", but I'm prone to slips.

My workings and answer are below. Could ou tell me if I've worked this out correctly ?

20130408_082328.jpg

Last edited:
The structure of your solution is fine, but I've spotted one arithmetical mistake, and one place where you are making things more complicated than they need be...

First the arithmetic. The expression of [itex]\omega_D^2[/itex] in terms of [itex]\gamma[/itex] should read
[itex]\omega_D^2 = 9 \gamma^2 - \frac{\gamma^2 }{4} = \frac{35 \gamma^2 }{4}[/itex]

Now the simplification I recommend. Consider the fall in amplitude from t= 0 to t = T, rather than from t= T to t = 2T. [Incidentally, it's easier to think about what's going on if you use the cosine rather than the sine form of the solution. Then the displacement at t = 0 is simply the initial amplitude, A.]

Philip Wood said:
The structure of your solution is fine, but I've spotted one arithmetical mistake, and one place where you are making things more complicated than they need be...

First the arithmetic. The expression of [itex]\omega_D^2[/itex] in terms of [itex]\gamma[/itex] should read
[itex]\omega_D^2 = 9 \gamma^2 - \frac{\gamma^2 }{4} = \frac{35 \gamma^2 }{4}[/itex]

Now the simplification I recommend. Consider the fall in amplitude from t= 0 to t = T, rather than from t= T to t = 2T. [Incidentally, it's easier to think about what's going on if you use the cosine rather than the sine form of the solution. Then the displacement at t = 0 is simply the initial amplitude, A.]

After doing what you recommended I've found that ΔE/E = 0.65. Can you confirm to me whether that is correct ?

Thank you for all your help so far :)

This agrees with my answer given in post 6 !

Good luck with your studies. Physics is wonderful!

Related to Fractional energy loss per cycle in a heavy damped oscillator

What is a heavy damped oscillator?

A heavy damped oscillator is a type of mechanical system that experiences damping forces that are proportional to the velocity of the oscillator. This means that as the oscillator moves faster, the damping forces increase, causing it to slow down. This type of oscillator is commonly used in engineering applications to reduce vibrations and stabilize systems.

What is fractional energy loss per cycle?

Fractional energy loss per cycle refers to the amount of energy that is lost from a system during one oscillation cycle. In a heavy damped oscillator, this energy loss is caused by the damping forces acting on the system. It is expressed as a fraction of the total energy in the system and is typically calculated using the damping coefficient and the natural frequency of the oscillator.

How is fractional energy loss per cycle calculated?

The calculation of fractional energy loss per cycle in a heavy damped oscillator involves using the damping coefficient (c) and the natural frequency (ω) of the oscillator in the following formula: ζ = c/2mω, where ζ represents the fractional energy loss per cycle and m is the mass of the oscillator. This formula can be derived from the equation of motion for a damped oscillator.

What factors affect the fractional energy loss per cycle in a heavy damped oscillator?

The main factors that affect the fractional energy loss per cycle in a heavy damped oscillator are the damping coefficient and the natural frequency. A higher damping coefficient or a lower natural frequency will result in a higher energy loss per cycle. Other factors that may affect the energy loss include the mass and stiffness of the oscillator, as well as any external forces acting on the system.

How can the fractional energy loss per cycle be minimized in a heavy damped oscillator?

To minimize the fractional energy loss per cycle in a heavy damped oscillator, the damping coefficient can be reduced or the natural frequency can be increased. This can be achieved by adjusting the design and materials of the oscillator, such as using a lighter mass or a stiffer spring. Additionally, external forces can be minimized or eliminated to reduce the energy loss. However, it is important to note that some level of damping is necessary to stabilize the system and prevent excessive vibrations.