Frank-Condon Principle - Potential Energy Surfaces

In summary, the Frank Condon principle allows for instantaneous electronic transitions due to the slow motion of nuclei. When a photon is absorbed, an electron can be promoted from the Sx0 to Sy1 state, with the upper curve being translated to the right based on the anti-bonding character of the S1 state. In the case of a porphyrin ring and simple benzene, the upper curve is more likely to be displaced to the right in benzene due to the localization of orbitals involved.
elemis
Theory and my Understanding:

So I understand how the frank condon principle let's us effect electronic transitions instantaneously, since the motion of nuclei (on the timescale of such electronic transitions) is quite slow.

Consequently, when a photon of light is absorbed you can have an electron being promoted from the Sx0 to the Sy1 where S represents the singlet state and x and y are vibrational levels (x>y)

My Question

What effects how much the upper curve is translated over to the right-hand-side, with respect, to the lower curve ?

My Interpretation

When an electron is promoted from S00 to S21, for example, the electron is being put into an anti-bonding orbital consequently weakening bonds and leading to a greater vibrations.

The more anti-bonding character the S1 state has the greater the amount by which the upper curve is translated over to the right-hand-side and hence the larger the vibrations.

9XrmEfW.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, your explanation sounds good.

DrDu said:
Yes, your explanation sounds good.

Thanks! I just have one last question, if you imagine a porphyrin ring versus simple benzene. It is my belief that the upper curve (see above diagram) is displaced more to the right in benzene.

This is because a single electronic excitation in a massive porphyrin ring (a multi electron system) is unlikely to change the bonding character of the molecule by that much.

Yes, but it depends on the localization of the orbitals that are involved.

FAQ: Frank-Condon Principle - Potential Energy Surfaces

1. What is the Frank-Condon Principle?

The Frank-Condon Principle is a fundamental concept in molecular spectroscopy that describes the relationship between electronic and nuclear motion. It states that during a transition between two electronic states, the nuclei of a molecule will remain in their original positions, or move only slightly, due to the large difference in mass between electrons and nuclei. This allows for the comparison of potential energy surfaces between electronic states.

2. What is a Potential Energy Surface (PES)?

A Potential Energy Surface is a three-dimensional representation of the potential energy of a molecule as a function of its nuclear coordinates. It describes the energy landscape of a molecule and how it changes as the nuclei move relative to each other. PES is an important tool in understanding the behavior of molecules and their electronic states.

3. How is the Frank-Condon Principle used in spectroscopy?

The Frank-Condon Principle is used to interpret the results of electronic spectroscopy experiments. It allows for the prediction of the positions and intensities of spectral lines based on the potential energy surfaces of the electronic states involved. This principle is also used in the analysis of molecular dynamics and collision processes.

4. How does the Frank-Condon Principle affect the vibrational states of a molecule?

The Frank-Condon Principle has a significant impact on the vibrational states of a molecule. It explains why only certain vibrational levels are observed in electronic transitions and why some transitions are forbidden. It also influences the shape and intensity of vibrational bands in a spectrum.

5. What are some applications of the Frank-Condon Principle?

The Frank-Condon Principle has many applications in the field of molecular spectroscopy, including the study of electronic transitions, molecular dynamics, and photochemical reactions. It is also used in fields such as atmospheric science, astrochemistry, and biochemistry to understand the behavior of molecules and their interactions with light. Additionally, the principle has practical applications in the development of new materials and technologies, such as organic light-emitting diodes (OLEDs) and photovoltaics.