Fraudulent card charges, but my card was not stolen?

• Thread starter KingNothing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charges
In summary: That is correct. Card numbers are often skimmed without the card being present, which is why it's important to be vigilant about monitoring your account for any unauthorized charges. In summary, someone with access to your credit card information (such as the receptionist at your hotel) was able to make fraudulent charges on your card without your knowledge. You should have ordered extravagant meals by room service, Monique :wink:!
KingNothing
So I found out today my credit card account has about $200 worth of charges I did not make. However, my card has been in my pocket the whole time.

How can this happen? If someone knew my SSN, how could they make charges without my card?

Physics news on Phys.org
You buy stuff online? or have a wife?

Yes I buy stuff online. I must be derpin', I didn't even think of that. The weird thing is all the charges are at like IHOP, taxi service...things that generally don't process online payments.

Someone with a skimmer can clone the mag stripe from your card just by passing very close to you. Then it is copied to a blank card. All that remains is to determine your PIN, if such is needed with that particular card. The "chip-in-card" technology is in aid of preventing that, but it's far from universally used so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Years back, I was on a business trip, and when my clients asked me to extend my stay, I went to make arrangements at my hotel, and found out that my credit card had been maxed out. Somebody (at the hotel or a restaurant, likely) had sold my card number, and the person who bought it had a great time charging all kinds of expensive sailboat rigging and hardware at a marina in the Great Lakes.

I got that cleared up, but it was still a real pain.

I recently had an experience that I gave my credit card to the hotel receptionist to pay for a room, but they charged someone else's credit card. Didn't find it out until I arrived home and checked my credit card bill (which was lacking that payment). It's clear that the hotel staff can't always be trusted.
Have you stayed at Holiday Inn recently, KingNothing? Maybe that charge was made by me :wink:

Hopefully you have already contacted your credit card company, in most cases they will remove all charges, the worse, they'll hold you for the first $50. If it's a debit card, you're going to have a harder time.

Monique said:
I recently had an experience that I gave my credit card to the hotel receptionist to pay for a room, but they charged someone else's credit card. Didn't find it out until I arrived home and checked my credit card bill (which was lacking that payment). It's clear that the hotel staff can't always be trusted.
Have you stayed at Holiday Inn recently, KingNothing? Maybe that charge was made by me :wink:
I was on the reverse end of one of those once. A restaurant accidently used my card to pay for two meals. It just took one call to the credit card company and I never heard anything else.

Monique said:

You should have ordered extravagant meals by room service, Monique :wink:!

Danger said:
That is indeed the most common method, but here is a link to what I was referring to.
http://www.dailyfinance.com/2011/02...steal-your-credit-card-number-while-its-stil/
Yes, I've heard of that but, as the article states, it isn't a common method yet. RFID theft makes me laugh because it reminds me of crazy people who wrap aluminum foil around their head to "keep the government out". Now you can buy a faraday cage wallet to do it - http://www.thinkgeek.com/interests/dads/8cdd/#tabs".

KingNothing said:
Yes I buy stuff online. I must be derpin', I didn't even think of that. The weird thing is all the charges are at like IHOP, taxi service...things that generally don't process online payments.

You certainly wouldn't be the first. Any and every time you use your credit card, whether online or at your local gas station, it's subject to being stolen by anyone in the order chain, including the person who took your order or anyone internal who has access to that company's database or information systems.

They rarely get caught, as they may pass the info then, or two months from now.

You might buy $50 of it, but provided you've monitored your chargers (good for you for doing so), that's the limit of your liability.

I used to use my credit card for everything. These days, I rarely use my credit card, and only for systems which are both void of human interaction as well as well-established online presences.

I have my paycheck deposited locally, and I simply collect what I need from my local bank.

That's one of the nice things about living in my town (I would have said a small town, but we're over 15,000 in population now). I know and trust everyone with whom I do business.

FAQ: Fraudulent card charges, but my card was not stolen?

1. Can my card be charged without it being physically stolen?

Yes, fraudulent card charges can occur even if your card is still in your possession. This can happen through various methods such as skimming, data breaches, or online scams.

2. How can I tell if the charges on my card are fraudulent?

If you notice any unfamiliar charges on your card statement, it is important to carefully review the details of the transaction. Look for any discrepancies in the amount, date, or location of the charge. You can also contact your bank or credit card company to alert them of the suspicious activity and to request more information.

3. What should I do if I suspect fraudulent charges on my card?

If you believe that your card has been used fraudulently, you should immediately contact your bank or credit card company to report the charges. They will likely cancel your card and issue you a new one. You should also monitor your account closely for any additional charges and consider placing a fraud alert on your credit report.

4. Can I dispute the fraudulent charges and get my money back?

Yes, most banks and credit card companies have fraud protection policies that allow you to dispute fraudulent charges and get your money back. However, it is important to act quickly and report the charges as soon as possible.

5. How can I prevent fraudulent charges on my card in the future?

To prevent fraudulent charges, it is important to always keep your card in a safe and secure place, never share your card information with anyone, and regularly monitor your account for any suspicious activity. Additionally, you should only use your card on secure and trusted websites and be cautious of providing your card information over the phone or through email.