Free body diagram from whole system-direction of forces in free-body d

In summary, when drawing the free body diagrams of the car and trailer separately, it is important to only include external forces such as traction friction and rolling friction, and to include joint forces in the FBDs. The use of fictitious forces, such as the D'alembert principle, may be helpful but should be clearly labeled if used.
marellasunny

Homework Statement

A car and a trailer are connected by a joint. The car and trailer system are on a inclined place at a gradient of 8 degrees. The rolling friction coefficient along with other vehicle parameters are given.We are asked to draw the free body diagrams of the car and trailer separately and thereby find the forces at the joint.

Homework Equations

Splitting the car-trailer system into 2 separate free body diagrams.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am finding difficulty as to how I should position the forces in the free-body diagram.I have made a logical guess in the solution attached as I assume there is 'dynamic equilibrium'(just as is taken in the D'alembert principle). Am I right in the way I have shown the direction of the joint forces? Can it be done in the exact reverse sense and still be correct?

In the whole system diagram,it does make sense for the joint forces to be so as the joint sags downwards and is pulled forward.

Attachments

• 0899_001.jpg
    0899_001.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 574
Physics news on Phys.org
marellasunny said:

Homework Statement

A car and a trailer are connected by a joint. The car and trailer system are on a inclined place at a gradient of 8 degrees. The rolling friction coefficient along with other vehicle parameters are given.We are asked to draw the free body diagrams of the car and trailer separately and thereby find the forces at the joint.

Homework Equations

Splitting the car-trailer system into 2 separate free body diagrams.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am finding difficulty as to how I should position the forces in the free-body diagram.I have made a logical guess in the solution attached as I assume there is 'dynamic equilibrium'(just as is taken in the D'alembert principle). Am I right in the way I have shown the direction of the joint forces? Can it be done in the exact reverse sense and still be correct?

In the whole system diagram,it does make sense for the joint forces to be so as the joint sags downwards and is pulled forward.
In the whole system diagram, do not show the joint forces because they are internal to the system. Only show the external forces like traction friction force forward on the driving wheels, rolling friction on the trailer wheel, and weights. When you draw FBDs of the trailer and car, then include the joint forces which are drawn correctly. Do not include fictitious DAlembert forces in the FBD, however,it may be useful to do so by inserting the fictitious inertial force -ma at the cg and summing forces and torques equal to 0, but if so doing, label your diagram as "FBD with ficticious forces".

Likes 1 person

Related to Free body diagram from whole system-direction of forces in free-body d

1. What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of all the forces acting on an object or system. It is often used in physics and engineering to analyze the motion and equilibrium of a system.

2. How do you create a free body diagram?

To create a free body diagram, you must first identify the object or system you want to analyze. Then, draw a simple sketch of the object or system, and label all the external forces acting on it, including their direction and magnitude. Finally, draw arrows to represent the direction and magnitude of each force.

3. What is the purpose of a free body diagram?

The purpose of a free body diagram is to simplify a complex system and determine the net forces acting on an object. It helps to identify the main forces at play and analyze how they affect the motion or equilibrium of the object or system.

4. What information can be obtained from a free body diagram?

A free body diagram can provide information about the direction and magnitude of all the forces acting on an object, as well as the net force and acceleration of the object. It can also help determine if the object is in equilibrium or if it will experience motion.

5. How is the direction of forces determined in a free body diagram?

The direction of forces in a free body diagram is determined by the direction in which the force is acting on the object. For example, if the force is pulling the object to the right, the arrow representing the force will point towards the right. The magnitude of the force is indicated by the length of the arrow.