Free body diagram of a preloaded system with a gasket

In summary, the conversation is about a question on tension in a preloaded system with a bolt and gasket. The person is studying for an exam and is having trouble understanding the free body diagram. They have the correct answer from an old exam, but do not understand why the tension forces from the bolt and gasket are shown in the same direction. They have provided links to images for reference.
MechanicalEngineer
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown
Hello,Ive got a question and wondering if there is someone that could help me? I would really appreciate it!

I am studying for an exam that I am going to have in a couple of weeks and it has been going great besides that I have been stuck on a question about tension in a preloaded system with a bolt and gasket.

So, to the problem.

Let’s assume that there are two plats that don’t bend and between these two plats there is a bolt that have been going through a gasket so that the system in under pressure from a preloaded force. Now, the bolt is tightening even more so that pressure rises. The area of the gasket is 3A and the area in the bolt is A and the E-module is the same.

How should the free body diagram? I have the correct answer from an old exam but can’t understand why the free body diagram, shouldn’t the tension force from the bolt be to the opposite side of the tension force from the gasket? They have drawing the tension force of the preloaded bolt and gasket in the same direction.

There are two images that are linked, one is for the question and one is the answer from the exam.

<< Very strange links deleted by the Mentors >>

I really appreciate it!

(Sorry for the bad English)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your links are way off

BvU said:
Your links are way off
Thanks @BvU -- links have been deleted now.
MechanicalEngineer said:
<< Very strange links deleted by the Mentors >>

Related to Free body diagram of a preloaded system with a gasket

1. What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a simplified representation of a physical system that shows all the forces acting on the system. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to analyze and solve problems involving forces.

2. What is a preloaded system?

A preloaded system is a mechanical system that has been assembled with a standard amount of tension or compression already applied to its components. This preload helps to improve the stability and performance of the system under external forces.

3. Why is a gasket included in the free body diagram of a preloaded system?

A gasket is included in the free body diagram because it is an important component in a preloaded system. It helps to create a seal between two surfaces and distribute the preload evenly. It also experiences forces from the preload and external forces, making it necessary to include in the diagram.

4. How do you draw a free body diagram of a preloaded system with a gasket?

To draw a free body diagram of a preloaded system with a gasket, you should first identify all the components and forces acting on the system. Then, draw each component as a separate labeled vector, including the gasket. Make sure to include the direction and magnitude of each force. Finally, sum up all the forces and show their resulting vector, which should be equal to the preload.

5. How is a free body diagram of a preloaded system with a gasket used in engineering?

A free body diagram of a preloaded system with a gasket is used in engineering to analyze the forces acting on the system and determine its stability and performance. It can help engineers make design decisions and identify potential issues before building the system. It is also used in calculations to solve for unknown forces or to verify the equilibrium of the system.