Free Fall problem with a reaction time strip

In summary, Figure 2-42 shows a simple device for measuring your reaction time using a cardboard strip and two dots. Your friend holds the strip vertically while you position your fingers at the other dot and try to pinch the strip as it falls. The mark where you pinch the strip gives your reaction time. To calculate the distance for the 50 ms mark, the equation Δx=(1/2)gt^2 can be used. For the marks at 100 ms, 150 ms, 200 ms, and 250 ms, the distances should be 2 times, 3 times, 4 times, and 5 times the distance for the 50 ms mark, respectively. This pattern can be seen by replacing t
Wilcho
Figure 2-42 shows a simple device for measuring your reaction time. It consists of a cardboard strip marked with a scale and two large dots. A friend holds the strip vertically, with thumb and forefinger at the dot on the right in Figure 2-42. You then position your thumb and forefinger at the other dot (on the left in Figure 2-42), being careful not to touch the strip. Your friend releases the strip, and you try to pinch it as soon as possible after you see it begin to fall. The mark at the place where you pinch the strip gives your reaction time. (a) How far from the lower dot should you place the 50.0 ms mark? How much higher should you place the marks for (b) 100, (c) 150, (d) 200, and (e) 250 ms? (For example, should the 100 ms marker be 2 times as far from the dot as the 50 ms marker? If so, give an answer of 2 times. Can you find any pattern in the answers?)

x-x0 = V0t - 1/2gt^2

The above equation is the equation I attempted to use to solve the problem. So far i got x = -4.9(50/1000)^2. I divided 50 by a 1000 to convert millisecond to seconds because gravity's unit is m/s. Therefore when you multiply the time with the gravitational force to get the distance. Then i got .01225 but i got the answer wrong for a. Then it gives an example that says the 100ms marker be 2 times as far from the dot as the 50ms marker. Is this example suppose to be true? or just an example?. Also, I got the units wrong b,c,d,e but i got a right, which is in meters.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start with Δx=(1/2)gt2. This represents the distance between the initial "dot" and the part of the strip that is next to your fingers as it falls. You say you found the first distance correctly to be 1.225 cm (0.01225 m) and I believe that is correct.

Let us represent this distance with the symbol d and the time of 50 ms with the symbol t0. Then we have

d=(1/2)gt02

Now the next mark (100 ms) is 2t0. If you replace t with 2t0 in the original equation for Δx, what do you get for the distance? What number times d is that?

Oh i see, thank you very much.

FAQ: Free Fall problem with a reaction time strip

1. What is a free fall problem with a reaction time strip?

A free fall problem with a reaction time strip is a physics scenario that involves an object falling towards the ground under the influence of gravity, while also taking into account the reaction time of the person observing the fall. The reaction time strip is used to measure the time it takes for a person to react to the object's fall.

2. How is the reaction time strip used in a free fall problem?

The reaction time strip is typically used to measure the time it takes for a person to press a button or activate a sensor in response to the object's fall. This time is then subtracted from the overall fall time to get a more accurate measurement of the object's actual fall time.

3. Why is reaction time important in a free fall problem?

Reaction time is important in a free fall problem because it introduces an element of human error into the measurement. Without taking into account the reaction time, the fall time of the object may be overestimated, leading to inaccurate results.

4. What factors can affect the reaction time in a free fall problem?

There are several factors that can affect reaction time in a free fall problem, including age, physical condition, level of alertness, and distractions. These factors can all impact the accuracy of the reaction time measurement and should be taken into account when conducting experiments.

5. How is the acceleration due to gravity calculated in a free fall problem with a reaction time strip?

In order to calculate the acceleration due to gravity in a free fall problem with a reaction time strip, the reaction time must be subtracted from the overall fall time to get the object's actual fall time. Then, the distance the object has fallen can be divided by the square of the actual fall time to get the acceleration due to gravity.

Back