Free Fractionally Charged Particles

In summary, Vanadium is saying that while the standard model explains the existence of fractionally charged particles by assigning color and electric charges, introducing a free fractionally charged particle would be an inconsistency in the theory.
stevendaryl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
It is intriguing (to me) that while fractionally charged particles exist in the standard model, they are always bound into composite particles of integer charge. The standard model explains this by QCD: fractionally charged particles all have nonzero color charge, and so can't be free. But I'm wondering whether it would be possible to introduce a fractionally charged free particle, or whether the theory becomes inconsistent in that case. Is there some deep reason that colorless particles must have integral charge, other than the fact that the standard model carefully assigns color and electric charges to make this happen?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't do this by itself. The sum of the charges under all forces for all particles (not antiparticles) must be zero. So if you create a Q=4/3 "fatlectron", there needs to be a Q=-4/3 partner, *plus* their antiparticles.

Vanadium, if it's not antiparticles, than what's the partner of the electron?
But that is actually weird for me...since you can have free quarks [fractional charged particles] at high energies[temperatures] as for example in the Quark-Gluon Plasma... So it's not a matter of theory I guess, but a matter of observation tthat we get only integer-quantized charges.
The most intriguing particle quantization is their masses... :) so chaotic/irrational (eg from some MeV for the u,d up to 4 GeV for b and then a really high jump to 170GeV for t). And so on... especially if those particles are [maybe] one single thing...

The total charge for *all* the particles has to be zero. So you have 3 (colors) +2/3 quarks, and 3 -1/3quarks, and an electron -1, and that sums to zero. (x3 generations, and it still sums to zero). So if I add a new particle with charge q, I must at a minimum add a new particle of charge -q.

On top of that, there are antiparticles.

ChrisVer said:
The most intriguing particle quantization is their masses... :) so chaotic/irrational (eg from some MeV for the u,d up to 4 GeV for b and then a really high jump to 170GeV for t). And so on... especially if those particles are [maybe] one single thing...

You forgot: Electron 511 keV, neutrino sub-eV ... The last jump down is at least 5 orders of magnitude.

Also, Vanadium is not saying it right out, but he seems to be referring to (one of) the requirements for anomaly cancellation.

aha so I guessed, but I had misunderstood the requirement -for eg U[1]- [itex] \sum_{i} Y_{i}^{3}=0 [/itex] for anomaly cancelation **, considering [itex]i[/itex] running over everything [particles & antiparticles (or Left/Right reprs)- so in that case electron would cancel positron and so on].

**: which once summed over all particles gives the 1.3 condition here:
http://cds.cern.ch/record/439081/files/0005015.pdf

Vana's post thouggh referred to the next two...1,4 and 1.5..so I just didn't *remember* [or know] those conditions...

Last edited:

Related to Free Fractionally Charged Particles

What are free fractionally charged particles?

Free fractionally charged particles are subatomic particles that have a charge that is a fraction of the elementary charge (e), which is the charge of a proton or electron. These particles can be found in certain materials or in high-energy environments, such as particle accelerators.

How are free fractionally charged particles created?

Free fractionally charged particles can be created through various methods, such as the decay of other particles, collisions between particles, or through high-energy processes. They can also be produced artificially in particle accelerators.

What properties do free fractionally charged particles have?

Free fractionally charged particles have properties similar to other subatomic particles, such as mass and spin. However, their fractional charge sets them apart and makes them behave differently in certain situations. They can also interact with other particles through electromagnetic and weak interactions.

What is the significance of free fractionally charged particles?

The existence of free fractionally charged particles challenges our understanding of particle physics and the Standard Model. It also has potential applications in fields such as quantum computing and energy storage.

Are there any practical uses for free fractionally charged particles?

While there are currently no practical applications for free fractionally charged particles, ongoing research and experiments aim to better understand their properties and potential uses. Some proposed uses include energy storage, quantum computing, and as probes for studying the properties of materials at a microscopic level.