Free Mathematica & Maple Alternatives for *nix Systems

In summary, the conversation discusses the availability of programs like Maple or Mathematica for the *nix operating system, specifically on a Scientific Linux distribution. Links to websites with free options are shared, and the possibility of transferring a license from an older Windows computer is suggested.
mgiddy911
I am doing research in a lab with only an older windows comp, and a newer box running *nix ( I don't know what distro exactly as it was set up by argonne)

I was wondering if there are programs like maple or mathematica for *nix that are freeware, much like openoffice is.

Physics news on Phys.org
damn good CAS and its free... don't know if its in your repos but it can be found in fedora's and ubuntu's

http://maxima.sourceforge.net/

thanks to both of you
I checked the distro our box is running. Its called Scientific Linux, produced by Fermi and Argonne
National Labs. Some people at Argonne set up the box for our project.

And if you have a Mathematica license on the old Windows box, you might consider transferring it to the new one... probably that would work for Maple as well.

(Edit: Some licenses allow the product to be installed on multiple machines, as long as it is only used on one of them simultaneously. Then you wouldn't even have to uninstall it.)

Last edited:

FAQ: Free Mathematica & Maple Alternatives for *nix Systems

1. What is Mathematica and Maple?

Mathematica and Maple are popular computer software programs used for mathematical and scientific computations, data analysis, and visualization. They are widely used by scientists, engineers, and researchers in various fields.

2. Are there free alternatives to Mathematica and Maple for *nix systems?

Yes, there are several free alternatives to Mathematica and Maple for *nix systems, such as SageMath, Maxima, and Octave. These programs offer similar features and capabilities to Mathematica and Maple, but they are open-source and can be freely downloaded and used.

3. What are some advantages of using free alternatives for *nix systems?

Using free alternatives for *nix systems can save users a significant amount of money, as these programs do not require expensive licenses like Mathematica and Maple. Additionally, since these programs are open-source, users have access to the source code, allowing for customization and adaptation to specific needs.

4. Are free alternatives for *nix systems as powerful as Mathematica and Maple?

While free alternatives may not have all the advanced features and capabilities of Mathematica and Maple, they still offer a wide range of tools and functions for mathematical and scientific computations. Many users find that the free alternatives are sufficient for their needs and can produce comparable results.

5. Can I run these free alternatives on any *nix system?

Yes, most of these free alternatives are compatible with various *nix systems, including Linux, Unix, and macOS. However, it is recommended to check the system requirements for each program before downloading to ensure compatibility.