Free Modules: Bland Corollary 2.2.4 - Issue on Finite Generation

In summary, Bland Corollary 2.2.4 is a result in abstract algebra that states a free module over a commutative ring is finitely generated if and only if it is a finite direct sum of cyclic modules. A free module is a module with a basis, similar to a vector space. A module is finitely generated if it can be generated by a finite set of elements. Bland Corollary 2.2.4 provides a necessary and sufficient condition for a free module to be finitely generated, stating that it must be a finite direct sum of cyclic modules. However, it only applies to modules over commutative rings.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Paul E. Bland's book, "Rings and Their Modules".

I am trying to understand Section 2.2 on free modules and need help with the proof of Corollary 2.2.4.

Corollary 2.2.4 and its proof read as follows:
?temp_hash=835cb48392e476a1ab456a737c97a956.png

In the second last paragraph of Bland's proof above we read:

" ... ... If [itex](a_\alpha) \in R^{ ( \Delta ) }[/itex], then [itex] \sum_\Delta x_\alpha a_\alpha \in F [/itex] ... ... "My question is as follows:

How, exactly, do we know that [itex](a_\alpha) \in R^{ ( \Delta ) }[/itex] implies that [itex]\sum_\Delta x_\alpha a_\alpha \in F[/itex] ... ... that is, is it possible that for some [itex](a_\alpha) \in R^{ ( \Delta ) }[/itex] there is no element [itex]x [/itex] such that [itex]x = \sum_\Delta x_\alpha a_\alpha \in F [/itex]?To make sure my question is clear ... ...

If F is a free R-module with basis [itex]\{ x_\alpha \}_\Delta [/itex], then every element [itex]x \in F[/itex] can be expressed (generated) as a sum of the form:

[itex]x = \sum_\Delta x_\alpha a_\alpha [/itex]

... ... BUT ... ... does this mean that for any element [itex](a_\alpha) \in R^{ ( \Delta ) }[/itex] there is actually an element [itex]x \in F[/itex] such that [itex]x = \sum_\Delta x_\alpha a_\alpha [/itex]?

... OR ... to put it another way ... could it be that for some element [itex](a_\alpha) \in R^{ ( \Delta ) }[/itex] there is actually NO element [itex]x \in F[/itex] such that [itex]x = \sum_\Delta x_\alpha a_\alpha [/itex]?

Can someone please clarify this issue for me?

Peter
***NOTE***I thought I would try to clarify just exactly why I am perplexed about the nature of the generation of a module or submodule by a set [itex]S[/itex].

Bland defines the generation of a submodule of [itex]N[/itex] of an [itex]R[/itex]-module [itex]M[/itex] as follows:

Now consider a submodule [itex]L[/itex] of [itex]M[/itex] such that [itex]L \subset N[/itex].

See Figure [itex]1[/itex] as follows:

Now [itex]L[/itex], like [itex]N[/itex], will (according to Bland's definition) also be generated by [itex]S[/itex], since every element [itex]y \in L[/itex] will be able to be expressed as a sum

[itex]y = \sum_{\Delta} x_\alpha a_\alpha
[/itex]

where [itex]x_\alpha \in S [/itex] and [itex]a_\alpha \in R[/itex]

This is possible since every element of [itex]N[/itex] (and hence [itex]L[/itex]) can be expressed this way.However ... ... if we consider [itex]x \in N[/itex] such that [itex]x \notin L[/itex] then

[itex]x = \sum_{\Delta} x_\alpha a_\alpha
[/itex]

for some [itex]x_\alpha, a_\alpha
[/itex]

... ... BUT ... ... in this case, there is no [itex](a_\alpha) \in R^{ ( \Delta ) } [/itex] such that

[itex] \sum_{\Delta} x_\alpha a_\alpha \in L [/itex]

... ... BUT ... ... this is what is assumed in Bland's proof of Corollary [itex]2.2.4[/itex]?

Can someone please clarify this issue ...

Peter

Attachments

• Bland - 1 - Proposition 2.2.4 - PART 1.png
    Bland - 1 - Proposition 2.2.4 - PART 1.png
    50 KB · Views: 558
  • Bland - 2 - Corollary 2.2.4 - PART 2.png
    Bland - 2 - Corollary 2.2.4 - PART 2.png
    24.2 KB · Views: 587
  • Bland - Definition of Submodule Generated by a set S.png
    Bland - Definition of Submodule Generated by a set S.png
    25.4 KB · Views: 581
  • Figure 1 - by Peter - Generation of Submodule L by a set S.png
    Figure 1 - by Peter - Generation of Submodule L by a set S.png
    11 KB · Views: 527
"If F is a free R-module with basis {xα}Δ, then every element x∈F can be expressed (generated) as a sum of the form:

x=∑Δxαaα

... ... BUT ... ... does this mean that for any element (aα)∈R(Δ) there is actually an element x∈F such that x=∑Δxαaα?

Read more: https://www.physicsforums.com "

the answer is yes, and this is just the meaning of a module. I.e. a module is closed under (finite) linear combinations. So since the basis elements do belong to the module, F, so also does any finite linear combination.

Related to Free Modules: Bland Corollary 2.2.4 - Issue on Finite Generation

1. What is Bland Corollary 2.2.4?

Bland Corollary 2.2.4 is a result in the field of abstract algebra that states that a free module over a commutative ring is finitely generated if and only if it is a finite direct sum of cyclic modules.

2. What is a free module?

A free module is a module over a ring that has a basis, meaning that it can be generated by a linearly independent set of elements. This is similar to how a vector space is generated by a basis in linear algebra.

3. What does it mean for a module to be finitely generated?

A module is finitely generated if it can be generated by a finite set of elements. In other words, there exists a finite set of elements that can be combined in various ways to create any element in the module.

4. How does Bland Corollary 2.2.4 relate to finite generation?

Bland Corollary 2.2.4 provides a necessary and sufficient condition for a free module to be finitely generated. It states that a free module is finitely generated if and only if it is a finite direct sum of cyclic modules.

5. Can Bland Corollary 2.2.4 be applied to modules over non-commutative rings?

No, Bland Corollary 2.2.4 only applies to modules over commutative rings. However, there are similar results for modules over non-commutative rings, such as the Fitting Lemma which provides a necessary and sufficient condition for a module to be finitely generated over a general ring.