Free paperback copy of Atiyah/MacDonald

• Algebra
  • Thread starter jbunniii
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation involves a forum member offering a free paperback copy of Atiyah/MacDonald's Introduction to Commutative Algebra, as they have recently obtained a hardcover edition. They are looking for a genuine reader who will not resell the book for profit. The book is in good condition and the offer includes free shipping. The interested party is a scientist with a background in mathematics who is interested in expanding their knowledge and has been wanting to read the book for some time. They are willing to cover any shipping costs and have asked for the book's availability.
jbunniii
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
UPDATE: the book has been claimed. Thanks for your interest!

----------------------
I have a paperback copy of Atiyah/MacDonald, Introduction to Commutative Algebra, which I no longer need as I recently obtained a hardcover edition. If you would like my paperback copy, I will ship it to you for free, assuming you intend to read it and not simply resell it for a profit :biggrin:

It is a thin paperback, only 128 pages, not very sturdily made, but it is in very good condition and the printing is reasonably dark and clear. A new copy from Amazon costs an obscene $73.54: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0201407515/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Send me a PM if interested.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear fellow forum member,

I am a scientist with a background in mathematics and I am interested in your offer for the paperback copy of Atiyah/MacDonald's Introduction to Commutative Algebra. I understand that you have recently obtained a hardcover edition and are looking to give away your paperback copy.

I assure you that I am genuinely interested in reading the book and not planning to resell it for a profit. I am always looking to expand my knowledge and this book has been on my reading list for quite some time.

I appreciate your generosity in offering to ship the book for free and I would be more than happy to cover any shipping costs. I understand that the paperback copy may not be as sturdy as the hardcover edition, but as long as the content is in good condition, I am more than happy to receive it.

Please let me know if the book is still available and if so, I will send you a PM with my shipping details.

Thank you for considering my request and I look forward to hearing from you.

Related to Free paperback copy of Atiyah/MacDonald

1. What is "Free paperback copy of Atiyah/MacDonald"?

"Free paperback copy of Atiyah/MacDonald" is a well-known mathematics book that is commonly used in graduate level courses on commutative algebra. It is co-authored by Michael Atiyah and Ian MacDonald and is widely considered a classic in the field.

2. How can I get a free paperback copy of Atiyah/MacDonald?

Unfortunately, there is no legitimate way to get a free paperback copy of Atiyah/MacDonald. It is a copyrighted book and must be purchased from a reputable bookseller or borrowed from a library.

3. Is Atiyah/MacDonald available in electronic format for free?

No, Atiyah/MacDonald is not available for free in any electronic format. However, some universities may provide access to electronic versions of the book through their library databases.

4. Is Atiyah/MacDonald suitable for self-study?

Atiyah/MacDonald is a rigorous and advanced text that is best studied under the guidance of a professor or through a course. It may be difficult to understand on your own without prior knowledge of the subject.

5. What topics does Atiyah/MacDonald cover?

Atiyah/MacDonald covers various topics in commutative algebra such as rings, modules, ideals, localization, primary decomposition, and homological methods. It also includes applications to algebraic geometry and number theory.