Free Space Optics: Designing Electronics Transmitter & Receiver

In summary: I have seen them sell for as high as $5000.00 without a hiccup. I would be happy to send you a list of some of the manufacturers and where you can buy them.In summary, if you are looking for a good book on Free Space Optics, "Free Space Optics: Principles and Applications" by P.K. Jain is a good place to start. Additionally, "Optical Communications" by G. Farrell is a good resource.
mmzaj
Hello

I'am a fifth year senior majoring in telecommunications , and i'am considering FSO ( free space optics ) for my graduation project . i managed to obtain many books and papers covering the theoretical part . but material covering the design of the electronics - transmitter & receiver - don't seem to be available .

so do you have any good books/papers that can help ?

thanks in advance .

Engineering news on Phys.org
Here's some PDF files that look good for an introduction. http://www.electronics.dit.ie/staff/gfarrell/OptTransRec.htm"

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks a lot , but they seem to be on fiber optics more than FSO ! anyways , i'am grateful .

You can find all sorts of free space optical components in trade publications. Here's one I am familiar with that you can subscribe to from right here in Physics Forums:
http://physicsforums.tradepub.com/free/pts/"

Here is an example of of one for their articles: http://www.photonics.com/Content/ReadArticle.aspx?ArticleID=28908"

Last edited by a moderator:
I am an advocate and believer of Free Space Optics (FSO) in Telecommunications. I am also a user, and a consultant and have written a number of comparative analyses. These have not been written as scientific documentation but from the standpoint of the technologies proper use and its advantages and disadvantages. Some issues that you might want to consider are builitized below:

1. A user of this technology, as well as users of any technology must understand that all technologies must be used correctly. This, on face value, might seem like a pretty simple statement, and almost too stupid to make. The facts are that I have seen too many persons do stupid things and have the technology not work as it was designed to. It is because of this misuse that this has been a sleeper technology that continues to miss being a major telecommunications technology.

2. The user must understand the pluses and minuses associated with Free Space Optics before trying to use it. While I could write for days on this subject I will list a few general item and if you want some of the analyses I have done send me a message or reply.

When installed properly here is a list of advantages:

a. Data speeds up to 10 Gigabits are easily achieved today.
b. Ranges up to 4 kilometers are easily achieved today.
c. Has the lowest latency and jitter of nearly all telecommunications technologies with the exception of buried fiber.
d. Has tremendious potential as a low cost alternative for buried Optical fiber in many situations.
e. Is one of the most secure forms of transmitting voice, data or video signals.

Some disadvantages are:

a. Has great difficulty in penitrating fog and fine dust storms. Normal rain is not a problem.
b. Has problems with a driving rain on its lens.
c. Has problems when the sun shines directly on its lens.
d. Has great problems when installers ignore the above and do a sloppy installation when mounting the unit, running cables and making bad connections.

Enough for now.

By the way I am not a manufacture of these devices, and they are unnecessarly priced too high.

Last edited:

Related to Free Space Optics: Designing Electronics Transmitter & Receiver

1. What is free space optics (FSO)?

Free space optics is a communication technology that uses light to transmit data through open air, rather than traditional methods like wires or cables. It involves the use of lasers or LEDs to transmit data through the atmosphere to a receiver, which then converts the light signals back into data.

2. How does FSO work?

FSO works by using an electronic transmitter to convert data into light signals, which are then transmitted through the air to a receiver. The receiver then converts the light signals back into data, completing the transmission. This technology relies on line-of-sight communication and requires a clear path between the transmitter and receiver.

3. What are the advantages of FSO?

FSO offers several advantages over traditional wired communication methods. It is a cost-effective solution, as it does not require expensive infrastructure or maintenance. It also offers high bandwidth and data transfer rates, making it ideal for applications that require large amounts of data to be transmitted quickly. Additionally, FSO is immune to electromagnetic interference, making it a secure option for data transmission.

4. What are the limitations of FSO?

One limitation of FSO is its reliance on line-of-sight communication. This means that any physical objects, such as buildings or trees, between the transmitter and receiver can disrupt the signal. Additionally, FSO is affected by weather conditions, such as fog, rain, or snow, which can weaken or interrupt the signal. FSO also has a limited range, typically up to a few kilometers.

5. What are the applications of FSO?

FSO has a wide range of applications, including telecommunications, military and defense, and healthcare. It is commonly used for high-speed data transmission in urban areas, as well as for connecting remote locations where traditional wired methods are not feasible. FSO is also used in disaster recovery situations, as it can quickly establish a communication link without the need for infrastructure. Additionally, FSO is used in satellite communication and space exploration, as it offers a secure and high-speed method of transmitting data in space.