French student wishing to do nanoscience

• Thread starter Zulily
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Student
In summary, a French masters student is interested in doing research in nanoscience. Their first choice is a Canadian school, but their professors suggest looking into American schools as well. Some suggestions were provided, including Maryland, Rice, Northwestern, Minnesota, WUSTL, and Notre Dame. The student also has research experience in condensed matter and nanoscience, but no published papers. They are also studying for the physics GRE and have a GPA of 15/20 for their undergraduate degree and 16/20 for their masters. The student is aware of the requirements for applying for a PhD in the US and is questioning if they are on the right track.
Zulily
I am a French masters student that wants to do research in nanoscience. At this point, my first choice is a Canadian school but my professors back in France told me that, given that particular choice of a Canadian school (a Quebec one, mind you, in which case I would not cost them any more to take me on as a doctoral-level RA than if I was a local student), I should look at American schools also. Yet, here are some suggestions they made, given that I want to do experimental nanoscience, assuming that I would be able to stand up to the locals:

Maryland
Rice
Northwestern
Minnesota
WUSTL
Notre Dame

In France, the undergraduate program usually does not cover the material in that much depth so I am not sure how does a French 15-16/20 stacks up to American undergraduate grades. However, in Europe, it is possible to spend up to one year study abroad while in a masters program. So going to my first choice, in fact, amounts to returning to that very school I did my graduate-level study abroad in for a PhD.

As for my research experience: back in Montreal, I spent about four months full-time in a condensed matter experimental lab, plus an additional four months at my home university in experimental nanoscience. No papers from either.

Perhaps my professors assumed that I want to return to Montreal for my PhD because I had some problems with European PhD programs, when they suggested US schools... and I feel like my professors are of little help. Did they give me a nonsensical list of suggestions?

On the other hand, I have started studying for the physics GRE.

Can I realistically get into one of the following schools for a PhD, doing experimental nanoscience research?

Maryland
Rice
Northwestern
Minnesota
WUSTL
Notre Dame

For the record, here's my file:

GPA: 15/20 (undergrad) 16/20 (masters)
Research experience: 4 months of experimental condensed matter in Montreal, 4 months of experimental nanoscience in Toulouse

I have to understand that not only I have to take the GRE (both general and physics), in Europe, the norm is to undertake a masters before a PhD (since European undergrad programs usuallly give little to no opportunity to do research). But am I on the right track?

Related to French student wishing to do nanoscience

1. What is nanoscience?

Nanoscience is a branch of science that deals with the study of materials and phenomena at the nanoscale, typically ranging from 1 to 100 nanometers. This field combines principles from physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering to understand and manipulate matter at the atomic and molecular level.

2. What are the job prospects for a French student in nanoscience?

The job prospects for a French student in nanoscience are quite promising. With the rapid advancement of technology, there is a growing demand for professionals with expertise in nanoscience. Some potential career options include working in research and development, quality control, product design, and manufacturing in industries such as healthcare, electronics, and energy.

3. What are the educational requirements for pursuing a career in nanoscience?

To pursue a career in nanoscience, a strong foundation in science and mathematics is essential. You will need at least a bachelor's degree in a relevant field such as physics, chemistry, or engineering. Many universities also offer specialized nanoscience programs at the graduate level for those looking to further their education in this field.

4. Are there any specific skills or qualities that are important for a career in nanoscience?

Apart from a strong academic background, some important skills and qualities for a career in nanoscience include critical thinking, problem-solving, attention to detail, and the ability to work both independently and in a team. Good communication and data analysis skills are also important for effectively communicating research findings.

5. What are some current and potential applications of nanoscience?

Nanoscience has a wide range of applications in various fields. Some current applications include drug delivery systems, nanoelectronics, and nanomaterials for solar energy. Potential future applications include nanorobotics for medical procedures, water purification, and nanosensors for detecting and treating diseases.