Frequency of oscillation (in Hz) question help Thanks

In summary, the conversation discusses the equilibrium of a 320 kg wooden raft on a lake and the effect of a 75 kg man stepping onto it. The force constant is determined to be 21,000 Nm and the question is posed to calculate the frequency of oscillation after the man steps off the raft. The attempted solution uses the spring equation and finds a frequency of 0.776 Hz. There is some discussion about the accuracy of treating the situation like a spring, but ultimately the frequency can be found using the equation f = 1/T.
nukeman

Homework Statement

A 320 kg wooden raft floats on a lake in equilibrium. When a 75 kg man steps carefully onto the raft, it floats 3.5 cm deeper into the water. When he steps off, the raft oscillates for a while.

I figured out that the force constant is 21,000 Nm - first off, is that correct?

Now my QUESTION is, calculate the Frequency of oscillation (in Hz) after the man steps off the raft?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I came up with...

2pi sqrt (m/k)

2pi sqrt (320/21,000) = .776 Hrtz

Physics news on Phys.org
I see you used the spring equation F = kx and found the k (agree with 21000).
I have some reservations about treating this situation like a spring, but it makes considerable sense and I can't think of an alternative. Anyway, continuing with the spring model, you would use
T = 2pi sqrt (m/k)
to find the period and then the frequency.

Your reasoning is more important than your results.

Treated like a mass on a spring?
(75x9.8)N was enough for 3.5cm extension is 21000Nm - well done.
You plugged that into the equation for period of a mass on a spring :(

[tex]f=\frac{1}{2\pi}\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}=\frac{1}{T}[/tex]

Related to Frequency of oscillation (in Hz) question help Thanks

1. What is frequency of oscillation?

The frequency of oscillation is the number of complete cycles or vibrations per unit time of a periodic motion. It is measured in hertz (Hz).

2. How is frequency of oscillation related to period?

The period of an oscillation is the time it takes to complete one full cycle. Frequency and period are reciprocals of each other, meaning that as frequency increases, period decreases, and vice versa.

3. What factors affect the frequency of oscillation?

The frequency of oscillation is affected by the stiffness of the oscillating object, the mass of the object, and the amplitude of the oscillation. It is also influenced by external factors such as friction and the presence of other forces.

4. How is frequency of oscillation measured?

The frequency of oscillation can be measured using various instruments such as an oscilloscope or a frequency counter. It can also be calculated by dividing the number of cycles by the time taken to complete those cycles.

5. What are some practical applications of frequency of oscillation?

The concept of frequency of oscillation is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and music. It is important in understanding and designing systems that involve periodic motion, such as pendulums, springs, and electronic circuits. In music, frequency of oscillation is related to pitch, and is used in tuning instruments and creating different musical tones.