Frequently Made Errors in Mechanics - Moments - Comments

In summary, the conversation discusses a new PF Insights post about frequently made errors in mechanics, particularly in moments. The equation of momentum for rigid bodies is also brought up, with mention of common mistakes in using it for different points and in 3D problems. A general formula for any point on a rigid body is also mentioned.
haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
haruspex submitted a new PF Insights post

Frequently Made Errors in Mechanics - Moments

mistakesmoments.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Last edited:
Likes Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
Nice post, Haruspex. I'll have to come back to this when I start my physics and mechanics classes.

Having read this, my future calcs involving torques and moments of inertia will be much faster and easier.

Nice article. I just want to add some comment on the equation of momentum for rigid body and on some very frequent errors that arise in this regard.
The equation of momentum is
$$J_A\dot{\boldsymbol \omega}+\boldsymbol\omega\times J_A\boldsymbol\omega=\boldsymbol M_A.\qquad (*)$$ Here ##J_A,\boldsymbol\omega## are the operator of inertia about the point ##A## and the angular velocity of the rigid body respectively; ##\boldsymbol M_A## is the torque about the point ##A## applied to the rigid body.

But what is the point ##A##? If ##A## is a stationary point of the rigid body or its center of mass then equation (*) is correct.
In general, it is incorrect to use formula (*) for ##A## to be instantaneous centre of rotation; it is incorrect even for planar problems.

Another frequent error is concerned to the term ##\boldsymbol\omega\times J_A\boldsymbol\omega##. This term is equal to zero identically in planar problems. But one can not forget it in essentially 3D problems.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
One should also note that the tensor of inertia, ##J_A##, must refer to the body-fixed point ##A##.

vanhees71 said:
ne should also note that the tensor of inertia, JAJ_A, must refer to the body-fixed point AA.
sureaccidentally I came across an article
https://www.jstor.org/stable/2973359?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents
perhaps It should be noted about a general formula. Let a point ##A## be any point of the rigid body. Then
$$J_A\dot{\boldsymbol\omega}+\boldsymbol\omega\times J_A\boldsymbol\omega+m\boldsymbol{AS}\times \boldsymbol a_A=\boldsymbol M_A;$$
where ##S## is the center of mass, ##m## is the mass of the rigid body, ##\boldsymbol a_A## is the acceleration of the point ##A##.

Likes vanhees71

Related to Frequently Made Errors in Mechanics - Moments - Comments

1. What are the most common errors made in mechanics when dealing with moments?

The most common errors made in mechanics when dealing with moments include miscalculating the distance, using the wrong direction of force, forgetting to consider all forces acting on an object, confusing clockwise and counterclockwise rotations, and using the wrong units of measurement.

2. How can I avoid making errors when calculating moments?

To avoid making errors when calculating moments, it is important to double-check all calculations, use diagrams and drawings to visualize the problem, label all forces and distances clearly, and pay attention to the direction of forces and rotations. It is also helpful to practice and review basic principles and equations regularly.

3. What are some tips for understanding and applying the concept of moments?

Some tips for understanding and applying the concept of moments include understanding the definition and properties of moments, recognizing that moments are dependent on both the force and the distance from the pivot point, and practicing with various types of problems to develop a better understanding of the concept.

4. Can you explain the difference between a positive and negative moment?

A positive moment is a moment that causes a counterclockwise rotation, while a negative moment causes a clockwise rotation. These directions are based on the right-hand rule, where the fingers of the right hand curl in the direction of the rotation and the thumb points in the direction of the moment vector.

5. What are some common misconceptions about moments in mechanics?

Some common misconceptions about moments in mechanics include thinking that moments only apply to rotational motion or that they are equivalent to forces, assuming that the pivot point has no effect on the magnitude of the moment, and using incorrect units of measurement for moments. It is important to understand that moments are a crucial part of understanding equilibrium and can apply to both rotational and translational motion.