Friction and Relation of Coefficient of Friction to Smoothness

In summary, during a discussion in a physics class, it was discovered that the coefficient of friction decreases to a certain point when an object's surface is made smoother. However, beyond a certain level of smoothness, the coefficient of friction increases. This phenomenon has been observed by Japanese scientists using specialized machines. There are theories that attempt to explain this, such as the uniformity of surface creating a uniform electron spin that interferes with another object's spin, but these theories are not fully understood. It is also suggested that the total contact surface area and Van der Waals forces play a role in the coefficient of friction.
eagermind
Friction and Relation of Coefficient of Friction to "Smoothness"

In my physics class today my teacher began discussing a very peculiar characteristic concerning the static and dynamic coefficients of friction. Apparently, when one makes an object's surface "smoother" (meaning with less impurities and a more uniform surface), the coefficient decreases to a certain point. However, past that point of "smoothness," the smoother the object becomes, the greater the coefficient of friction becomes. Apparently Japanese scientists have machines for this purpose unlike anywhere else in the world that make the surface of an object look uniform, even to a scanning electron microscope, and yet have a quite high coefficient of friction.

My teacher said that there were several theories as to why this strange phenomenon occurred, such as a theory that the uniformity of the object's surface creates a uniform electron spin that interferes with the spin of another object placed upon it. However, others say that this and other theories don't hold any water.

If anyone has any examples or other theories that explain why this weird and surprising (to me) quirk appears, I would appreciate your input. This is my first post, so I hope you all can cut me some slack.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi! :D Welcome! I'm new to this forum too haha.

Just making a guess :P, maybe its because of the total contact surface area. When the surface is not too smooth, the contact surface is not 100% as some molecules will be higher while some will be lower which won't come in contact with the object. Friction is related to its contact surface. We know that when friction happens, the objects tend to "rub" off some tiny particles from the surface. So it would be better if the contact surface is not 100% smooth so object won't have so much contact with the suface cause if its smooth it will fit the surface so perfectly that it will have to "rub" off the whole surface haha :)

Hi, it is not just the surface area but the number of particles per unit area that are in close proximity. When particles are close to each other, Van der Waals forces arise between them. To check this yourself try putting together two polished glass plates (e.g. microscope slides) and lifting the upper one. The lower one seems to stick to the upper one. This is also how insects, geckos etc. stick say to vertical surfaces. Adhesion and friction are related properties.

I find this topic very interesting and there are several possible explanations for this phenomenon. One theory is that as the surface becomes smoother, the contact area between the two objects decreases, leading to a higher pressure and thus a higher coefficient of friction. Another theory is that as the surface becomes smoother, it becomes more prone to adhesion, which can increase the friction between the two objects. Additionally, the type of material and its properties can also play a role in the relationship between smoothness and coefficient of friction.

To further understand this relationship, more research needs to be conducted, including experiments with different materials and surfaces. It is also important to consider external factors, such as temperature and humidity, which can affect the coefficient of friction.

Furthermore, the use of advanced technologies, such as the Japanese machines mentioned, can also provide valuable insights into this phenomenon. Further studies using these machines can help us understand the underlying mechanisms behind the change in the coefficient of friction with increasing smoothness.

In conclusion, the relationship between friction and the coefficient of friction is a complex and fascinating topic that requires further investigation. As scientists, it is important for us to continue exploring and experimenting to gain a better understanding of this phenomenon.

FAQ: Friction and Relation of Coefficient of Friction to Smoothness

1. What is friction?

Friction is the force that resists the relative motion between two surfaces that are in contact with each other.

2. How is the coefficient of friction related to smoothness?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces. A smoother surface will typically have a lower coefficient of friction, meaning there is less resistance to motion.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be affected by several factors, including the roughness of the surfaces, the materials of the surfaces, and the force pressing the surfaces together.

4. How can we measure the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be measured using a device called a tribometer, which measures the force required to move one surface against another. It can also be calculated by dividing the force of friction by the normal force between the surfaces.

5. How does friction impact daily life?

Friction plays a crucial role in our daily lives, from allowing us to walk and drive without slipping to controlling the movement of machines and vehicles. It also helps to secure objects in place and allows us to grip and manipulate objects with our hands.