Friction compared to applied force

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about friction and applied force on a horizontal surface. The question asks to compare the behavior of friction and applied force when the object is slowing down, traveling at a constant velocity, and speeding up. The individual has attempted to answer the question, but is unsure if their answer is correct. The response explains that friction is typically modeled as a function of speed, while the behavior of applied force is more complex and may require creating a model and working it out.
Shanetm

Homework Statement

I am doing review questions about friction and am I little confused about the one I am currently doing. I have an idea of what the answer is but i want to be positive.

The question asks to compare friction to applied force of an object on a horzontal surface. Compare them when the object is slowing down, traveling at a constant velocity and speeding up

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the answers as both will decrease, both will stay the same and both will increase but I feel like this may not be correct. Help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well the friction is usually modeled as a function of speed (either linear or as speed squared). So you are right about how friction will act in those situations.

But the applied force is a bit more complicated. I think you'd need to write down a model of the friction force and the applied force and work it out. (In other words, I don't think there is a general answer)

Related to Friction compared to applied force

1. What is friction?

Friction is the force that resists the motion of an object when it comes into contact with another object. It is caused by the microscopic irregularities on the surfaces of the two objects, which create resistance to the movement.

2. How is friction different from applied force?

Applied force is a force that is exerted on an object to make it move. On the other hand, friction is a force that resists the motion of an object. Applied force is used to overcome friction and move an object.

3. How does the amount of friction change with the amount of applied force?

The amount of friction is directly proportional to the amount of applied force. This means that as the applied force increases, the amount of friction also increases. This relationship follows the laws of physics known as Newton's laws of motion.

4. Can friction be reduced?

Yes, friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, which create a thin layer between two surfaces and reduce the contact between them. Smooth surfaces also experience less friction compared to rough surfaces.

5. How does friction affect the speed of an object?

Friction acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion, which means it can slow down the speed of an object. The amount of friction present can also affect an object's speed, with higher friction resulting in slower speeds and lower friction resulting in faster speeds.

Back