Friction on a Rainy Day: Why Does a Comb Stop Attracting Paper in Wet Hair?

• Thread starter phymathlover
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, a comb run through dry hair attracts bits of paper due to friction between the comb and hair. However, when the hair is wet or it is a rainy day, the friction is reduced due to the presence of moisture and the prevention of polarization between the comb and paper. This is because the moisture molecules act as preventative forces. Additionally, hair is hygroscopic and absorbs moisture on humid days, causing the fibres to swell and become smoother, resulting in less friction. Furthermore, charges quickly leak away over damp surfaces in humid weather, preventing the buildup of static electricity and the "crackling" stage.
phymathlover
A comb run through dry hair attracts bits of paper. What happens if your hair is wet or it is a rainy day?
I guessed that the comb would stop attracting paper, what bothers me is why. My book says its because if my hair is wet or its a rainy day, the friction between the comb and my hair reduces. I don't understand how exactly that happens. I mean wouldn't the comb still be up against the same amount of roughness on the molecular level.
Also, I thought the reason could be because when it is wet, there are more H2O molecules around so they get polarised and act as preventive forces in the space between the comb and the paper and thereby prevent the paper from being polarised and hence be attracted towards the comb.
Does that make any sense? I confused myself while writing this XD

Physics news on Phys.org
I think hair is hygroscopic, absorbing moisture on humid days then losing some when humidity drops. So the fibres probably swell slightly and become smoother, so maybe friction really is different in damp weather. But I think the main problem is that charges quickly leak away over damp surfaces in humid weather so it doesn't have a chance to build up to the 'crackling' stage.

Related to Friction on a Rainy Day: Why Does a Comb Stop Attracting Paper in Wet Hair?

1. How does rain affect friction?

When it rains, water creates a layer on top of surfaces, making them slippery and reducing friction. This can make it harder for objects to grip and move on the surface, creating more friction.

2. Why is it harder to stop a car on a wet road?

On a rainy day, the water on the road reduces the friction between the tires and the surface, making it harder to stop the car. This is why it is important to drive slowly and carefully in wet conditions to prevent accidents.

3. Does the type of surface affect friction on a rainy day?

Yes, different surfaces have different levels of friction, even when wet. For example, a rough surface like asphalt will have more friction than a smooth surface like tile. This is why it is important to be cautious when walking or driving on wet surfaces, as some may be more slippery than others.

4. How can we increase friction on a rainy day?

To increase friction on a rainy day, you can use materials that have a high coefficient of friction, such as rubber or sand. You can also slow down and be more cautious when walking or driving on wet surfaces to prevent slipping or sliding.

5. Can friction be completely eliminated on a rainy day?

No, friction cannot be completely eliminated on a rainy day. However, it can be significantly reduced due to the presence of water on surfaces. This is why it is important to be aware of the potential hazards of wet surfaces and take precautions to prevent accidents.