Friction problem that's really bugging me

• Thread starter hyperglitter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, the man needs a tension of 68 lb in the rope inclined at 15 degrees above the horizontal to start the crate moving, assuming a coefficient of static friction of 0.50. The normal force is not 150 lb, but rather 150 - Tsin15, where T is the tension in the rope. This can be solved to find the correct horizontal and vertical components of the tension, which will then lead to the correct answer.
hyperglitter
A man drags a 150-lb crate across a floor by pulling on a rope inclined 15 degrees above the horizontal. a) If the coefficient of static friction is 0.50, what tension in the rope is required to start the crate moving?
The answer is supposedly 68 lb.
I start by assuming the normal force = weight, so Fn = 150 lb. The force of friction operating against the direction of motion is Ff = Fn*coefficient of static friction, which is at its maximum.
So 150*.5 = 75 lb = Ff

Now the x component of the force required to move the crate should be equal to the frictional force (Ff). So Cos 15 = 75/Frope, and Frope turns out to be 77.65 lb. This is wrong, but oddly it is 9.8 off from the correct answer (though I realize this is irrelevant since the problem is in lbs). What am I doing wrong? Thanks :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Nice start but the normal force is not 150 lb. The tension has a vertical component.

I suspected that, but have no clue how to find it.. it seems like in order to solve for it, I need to find the frictional force, but the frictional force is calculated using the normal force, so I don't know where to start. :(

Sure you do! You know what the tension is and you calculated its horizontal component so surely you can also calculate the vertical component.

Er, but the only reason I know the tension is 68 lb is because I checked the answer, it's not given at the start of the problem. And I can't calculate the normal force since I don't know the vertical component, and since I don't know the normal force I can't calculate the frictional force, and thus the horizontal component. Obviously I'm missing something simple, but I'm not sure what. :(

If T is the tension in the rope then the horizontal component is [itex]T \cos \theta[/itex] where [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle with respect to the horizontal. Therefore, the vertical component will be ...??

I knew Tsintheta was the vertical component, I was just afraid to leave the normal force as 150 - Fropesin15 and try to solve from there. Anyway, I plugged it in and got the right answer. Thanks a lot :)

You're welcome!

Related to Friction problem that's really bugging me

1. What is friction and how does it affect motion?

Friction is the force that opposes the relative motion of two surfaces in contact. It acts in the opposite direction of the applied force and can either slow down or completely stop motion.

2. How is friction measured?

Friction is measured by the coefficient of friction, which is the ratio of the frictional force to the normal force. It is calculated by dividing the force required to move an object by the weight of the object.

3. What factors affect the amount of friction between two surfaces?

The amount of friction between two surfaces is affected by the roughness of the surfaces, the force pushing the surfaces together, and the material of the surfaces.

4. How does friction affect energy and efficiency?

Friction causes energy to be lost as heat, which reduces the efficiency of a system. This is why lubricants are often used to reduce friction and increase efficiency.

5. Can friction be completely eliminated?

No, it is impossible to completely eliminate friction. However, it can be reduced by using lubricants, smoother surfaces, and reducing the force pushing the surfaces together.

Back