How Do You Calculate the Minimum Force to Prevent Slipping Between Two Masses?

• Thread starter mmolteratx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, the conversation discusses a physics homework problem involving friction between two masses, with one being on an air table. The problem asks for the minimum force to prevent slipping and the maximum acceleration to prevent slipping. A diagram is provided, but the question is later clarified to have a 30 degree angle involved. The solution involves setting up a system of equations for the horizontal and vertical components of the forces.
mmolteratx

Homework Statement

I've got a few physics homework questions I need a bit of help with. All relate to friction.

Here's the first one:

The µs = .2 between the boxes. Mass 2 (80kg) is on an air table. What minimum force will keep mass 1 (40kg) from slipping? What is the maximum acceleration that will keep the mass from slipping?

Here's a pic I drew up with FBDs.

7.png

Homework Equations

0.2Fn+Fsin30=mg or 0.2Fcos30+Fsin30=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

If I solve for F I get 582. 289N but the answer I was given is 637N. Where did I go wrong? or is that the right answer? I think it's because I didn't account for mass 2 moving when the force is applied but I'm not sure how to do that.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no mention of a 30 degree angle in the question!
It appears that the 40 kg mass is about to fall straight down . . . but is prevented from doing so by friction with the 80 kg mass that presses against it when the 80 kg is being pushed to the left.

You need to work with the friction force and the gravitational force pulling the 40 kg mass downward. No angles!

My bad. I forgot to put theta=30 in the diagram. The force is being applied at a 30 degree angle.

Oh, that makes it more complicated. It is a 2 dimensional problem so you should make two headings for the horizontal and vertical parts.
In the horizontal part, you just have F=ma for the horizontal component of the force causing the combined masses to accelerate. In the vertical part, you have Fg - F*sin(30) downward trying to make it slip and Ff holding it. System of 2 equations with unknowns F and a.

Thanks! Got it and managed to figure out the rest of my problems.

Most welcome.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Minimum Force to Prevent Slipping Between Two Masses?

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists the relative motion between two surfaces that are in contact. It occurs due to the irregularities on the surfaces that interlock and create resistance.

2. How does friction affect motion?

Friction can either increase or decrease the speed of an object's motion, depending on the direction of the force. It can also change the direction of motion if the force is applied at an angle.

3. What are the different types of friction?

The three main types of friction are static friction, which prevents motion between stationary objects; kinetic friction, which opposes the motion of objects that are sliding against each other; and rolling friction, which occurs when an object rolls over a surface.

4. How can friction be reduced?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, which create a thin layer between two surfaces and reduce the frictional force. Smoother surfaces can also help to reduce friction.

5. What are some real-life examples of friction?

Some examples of friction in everyday life include walking on the ground, rubbing your hands together to generate heat, and using brakes on a bicycle to slow down or stop. Friction is also essential in the functioning of machines, such as car engines and gears.