Frictional talk - mass suspended from a flywheel

In summary: You're going to need that understanding for more difficult problems, so start here by understanding what's going on.In summary, a 0.5kg mass is suspended from a flywheel with a mass of 3kg, radius of 0.3m, and radius of gyration of 0.212m. The mass is released from rest and falls 0.5m in 1.5 seconds. The frictional torque is calculated to be 0.2Nm if friction is ignored. However, since the descending mass is also being accelerated, the total torque must take into account the moment of inertia of both the wheel and the descending mass. The correct moment of inertia for the descending mass is determined by either introducing
brenfox
frictional talk -- mass suspended from a flywheel

Homework Statement

a mass of 0.5kg is suspended from a flywheel. if the mass is released from rest and falls a distance of 0.5m in 1.5sec calculate the frictional torque.
mass of wheel = 3kg
Radius= 0.3m
Radius of gyration = 0.212m

Homework Equations

Torque = mk^2a

The Attempt at a Solution

From a prevoius question i calculated the angular acceleration to be 1.48rads.
So torque= mk^2a = 3x0.212^2x1.48

So Torque = 0.2Nm if friction is ignored.

So i have a torque 0.2Nm and angular acceleration of 1.48rads^2

Am i right in thinking Torque-frictional torque= angular acceleration?
so 0.20- frictional torque = 1.48?. This doesn't seem to work out for me. any help would be appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
so torque net-frictional torque = angular acceleration
so 0.2-frictional force= 1.48rads^2
rearrange to Tf = 1.48+0.2
Frictional torque = 1.68Nm??

You have the right angular acceleration, but the system being accelerated is not just the flywheel. The descending mass is also being accelerated. There are two ways to deal with this. You could introduce a variable for the tension and consider the forces and accelerations of mass and flywheel separately, but easier is to consider the effective moment of inertia of the mass about the flywheel's axis and add that in. What do you think its moment of inertia is?
When you have that right, consider how gravity comes into the equation. You appear to have taken the friction as causing the acceleration, but friction opposes relative motion.

Likes 1 person
I worked out the moment of inertia as follows:

I = mk^2

I = 3x0.212^2

I = 0.135 Is this correct?

brenfox said:
I = 3x0.212^2
I = 0.135 Is this correct?
That's the moment of inertia of the wheel, but the wheel is not the only object being accelerated by the weight of the suspended mass. The mass is also accelerating.
As I said, you have two ways you can take this into account. pick one.
1. Introduce an unknown for the tension in the cable. The torque from that tension (less the frictional torque from the axle) accelerates the wheel. The acceleration of the mass comes from the force of gravity on the mass minus the tension.
2. Figure out the moment of inertia of the descending mass about the wheel's axle and add that to the moment of inertia of the wheel.

So I need to add the moment of inertia of the mass = F=ma I think.

So f = 0.5 x 0.222 = 0.111.

so 0.111 + 0.135 = 0.246.

so total torque = I@ (ANGULAR ACCELERATION) ?
The above formula gives me the total torque (forces) involved in the question. Now i realize gravity must come into play as the object descends. Not sure how inertia and gravity ties in?
Not understanding the physics behind it!

brenfox said:
So I need to add the moment of inertia of the mass = F=ma I think.

So f = 0.5 x 0.222 = 0.111.
F=ma? where's the moment of inertia in that? And I've no idea where you are getting the .222 from. You need a mass multiplied by the square of a distance. The mass is obviously .5kg, but what distance is relevant? The mass is accelerating vertically, so in what direction should the distance of interest be?
If you can't figure that out, switch to the other option I gave you. It's important that you use a method in which you understand the physics.

Likes 1 person

Related to Frictional talk - mass suspended from a flywheel

What is "Frictional talk - mass suspended from a flywheel"?

"Frictional talk - mass suspended from a flywheel" refers to a concept in physics where a mass is suspended from a rotating flywheel and experiences frictional forces as it moves.

How does friction impact the motion of the suspended mass?

Friction between the suspended mass and the flywheel causes a decrease in its speed and can also change its direction of motion.

What factors affect the amount of frictional force on the suspended mass?

The amount of frictional force on the suspended mass is affected by the weight of the mass, the speed of rotation of the flywheel, and the surface materials of the mass and the flywheel.

How can frictional talk be reduced in this scenario?

To reduce frictional talk, the surface materials of the suspended mass and the flywheel can be made smoother, the speed of rotation can be decreased, or a lubricant can be applied to the contact area between the two surfaces.

Why is understanding frictional talk important for scientists?

Understanding frictional talk is important for scientists because it is a phenomenon that affects many real-world situations, such as the operation of machines and vehicles. By studying frictional talk, scientists can develop better methods for reducing friction and improving efficiency in various industries.