Frictional Torque Flywheel Question

In summary, the problem involves a spinning flywheel with a known rotational inertia and a final angular velocity of zero due to friction. The goal is to find the frictional torque acting on the flywheel. The attempt at a solution involved using equations for linear and angular velocity, as well as mass and force, to ultimately find the torque using the formula torque = radius*force.
Schoomy

Homework Statement

A spinning flywheel has rotational inertia I = 403.8 kg · m2. Its angular velocity decreases from 20.0 rad/s to zero in 256.8 s due to friction. What is the frictional torque acting?

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using Vt = r |w| and Wav = change in theta / change in time, to get r, but I'm not sure if that's right,

Then I used I = 1/2mr^2 to get mass.

Finally, I used F=ma to get Force, using the mass found above and acceleration = change in velocity (aka 20*57) / change in time.

Then I had force and radius for plugging into torque = radius*force.

Physics news on Phys.org
Using w = wo + alpha*t, find alpha.
Torque = I*alpha.

I would like to commend you for your attempt at solving this problem. Your approach using the equations Vt = r|w| and Wav = change in theta/change in time to find the radius is a good start. However, it is important to note that these equations are only applicable when the object is undergoing uniform circular motion, which may not be the case in this scenario where the angular velocity is decreasing due to friction.

To accurately calculate the frictional torque, you will need to use the equation T = Iα, where T is the torque, I is the moment of inertia, and α is the angular acceleration. In this case, the angular acceleration can be calculated using the equation α = (ωf - ωi)/t, where ωf and ωi are the final and initial angular velocities, respectively, and t is the time interval.

Once you have calculated the angular acceleration, you can plug it in to the equation T = Iα to find the frictional torque acting on the flywheel. This torque will be in the opposite direction of the motion of the flywheel, as it is causing the angular velocity to decrease.

I would also like to suggest that instead of using the equation I = 1/2mr^2 to find the mass, you can use the given value of the moment of inertia, which is already in kg·m2. This will save you the extra step of calculating the mass.

Overall, your approach shows good understanding of the relevant equations, but it is important to carefully consider their applicability and use the correct ones in order to obtain an accurate solution.

FAQ: Frictional Torque Flywheel Question

1. What is frictional torque in a flywheel?

Frictional torque in a flywheel refers to the resistance or force that opposes the motion of the flywheel. It is caused by friction between the moving parts of the flywheel, such as the bearings and shaft, and can result in a loss of energy and overall efficiency.

2. How does frictional torque affect the performance of a flywheel?

Frictional torque can reduce the overall speed and efficiency of a flywheel. This can result in a decrease in energy storage and release, as well as an increase in heat generation and wear on the flywheel's components.

3. What factors contribute to frictional torque in a flywheel?

There are several factors that can contribute to frictional torque in a flywheel, including the type of bearing used, the surface finish of the flywheel and its components, and the amount and type of lubrication present.

4. How can frictional torque be minimized in a flywheel?

One way to minimize frictional torque in a flywheel is by using high-quality bearings, such as ceramic bearings, that have a lower coefficient of friction. Additionally, ensuring proper lubrication and maintaining a smooth surface finish can also help reduce frictional torque.

5. What are the implications of high frictional torque in a flywheel?

High frictional torque can lead to decreased efficiency and performance of a flywheel, as well as increased wear on its components. This can result in higher energy consumption and maintenance costs, and potentially impact the overall functionality of the flywheel system.