From Software Development to Math/Science?

• Thread starter jaysu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Software
In summary, the conversation discusses an individual's interest in number theory and their desire to incorporate it into their career, potentially through pursuing a PhD. However, concerns about job opportunities in this field are raised and alternative options, such as cryptography and security positions, are suggested.
jaysu
Hi,

I am a Software Developer in a company. I work on cutting edge technologies in System Software and High Performance Computing. But, I'm also interested in Pure Math and also Physics. I get excited about Number Theory and I want that to be part of my career. What do I do?. Where do I start with?. I know this is weird because people go the other way!. I am planning for a PhD after two years or so. How do I go about choosing a topic for research related to the fields I like?.

Physics news on Phys.org
The only things I know of that involve number theory are professorial teaching positions. It is indeed a fascinating study, but job opportunities in this area are few. Consider that you may want to do something else that pays the bills, and pursue the number theory studies on your own.

Since you have a software background, maybe look into cryptography/security related positions? A lot of that's based on number theory.

FAQ: From Software Development to Math/Science?

1. What is the connection between software development and math/science?

The connection between software development and math/science is that both fields heavily rely on problem-solving and critical thinking skills. In software development, programmers use algorithms and logical thinking to create efficient and effective code. Similarly, in math and science, researchers use analytical and logical reasoning to solve complex problems and discover new knowledge.

2. How can a background in software development be beneficial in pursuing a career in math/science?

A background in software development can be beneficial in pursuing a career in math/science because it provides a strong foundation in computational thinking and programming skills. These skills are essential in fields like data analysis, computational biology, and scientific computing, where software is used to process and analyze large datasets. Additionally, software development experience can also enhance problem-solving abilities, which are crucial in all areas of math and science.

3. Are there any specific math/science fields that closely overlap with software development?

Yes, there are several math and science fields that closely overlap with software development. Some examples include computer science, data science, bioinformatics, and computational physics. In these fields, software is used to model and simulate complex systems, analyze data, and develop algorithms for solving scientific problems.

4. How can a software development background be applied in a math/science research setting?

A software development background can be applied in a math/science research setting in various ways. For instance, researchers can use programming skills to develop custom software or tools for their specific research needs. Additionally, knowledge of software development practices can also help in creating efficient and reusable code for data analysis and simulations. Moreover, software development experience can also aid in troubleshooting and debugging code, which is a crucial aspect of research in math and science.

5. What resources are available for software developers interested in pursuing a career in math/science?

There are various resources available for software developers interested in pursuing a career in math/science. Some options include online courses, workshops, and boot camps that offer training in specific math/science fields like data science or bioinformatics. Additionally, there are also online resources and communities, such as Stack Overflow and GitHub, where developers can collaborate and learn from experts in the field. Lastly, attending conferences and networking events can also provide valuable opportunities to connect with professionals in the math/science industry.